1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Reston, Washington DC area, Virginia, Maryland - Which PLace is better for Indians

Discussion in 'Indians in Fairfax' started by Deepasin, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Deepasin

Deepasin New IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

We would be moving to US and were just wondering which of the following places suits better for Indians (North Indian if that matters). Suits in terms of "Good Schools for Indian Kids", "Substantial Indian population" "Good Environment for Indian Kids" "Reasonable cost of living". We have the following options to relocate to :

Reston,
    Washington DC area,
    Virginia,
    Maryland

Please kindly let me know asap as we need to take a decision soon.

Regards
    Deepa

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

2. neerrali

neerrali Senior IL'ite

Re: Reston, Washington DC area, Virginia, Maryland - Which PLace is better for Indian

Hi Deepasin,

All the areas that you have mentioned are good, but you will find a lot of Indian Community in Northern Virginia compared to other places. Also keep in mind the commute to work as travel during rush hours in all of these areas is vry hectic by road (Specially I-495/95 beltway's) and public transport is not very good in these areas. In terms of schooling, Loudoun county(Northern Virginia) has the best public schooling system. So you should consider Ashburn, Herndon, Sterling, Leesburg all these places within Loudoun county or good places to live with a lot of Indian community.

Hope this helps!

3. Deepasin

Deepasin New IL'ite

Re: Reston, Washington DC area, Virginia, Maryland - Which PLace is better for Indian

Thanks a lot neerrali

Yes we would actually be more than happy to be around Indian community so as not to give our kids a kinda shock.

We might be moving from New Delhi by next month.

Neerrali, i understand my question might be too naive but still ... is there any ill treatment or racism that Indians can get subject too? How is the overall decorum in the schools... i mean do the american kids bond with Indians?

To be frank, i dont want my 4 year kids to feel a bit alone.

Also how is the cost of living in these areas? Talking in monetary terms, what would be considered as a good monthly income

Sorry if my questions sound naive but just had these questions and wanted to get them cleared before moving

Regards
    Deepa

4. Deepasin

Deepasin New IL'ite

Just adding another question . I have a 3 and half year daughter and she is currently in Nursery section here in India. What are the norms there in US like age of admission in school, average expense of education, criteria of admission etc

Regards
    Deepa

5. neerrali

neerrali Senior IL'ite

Hi Deepasin,

Im sorry but I wont be able to answer your questions related to schooling since I do not have kids yet and haven't experienced the schooling system here.
    But in terms of monetary expenses it really depends on your lifestyle and income. You will get apartments in the Herndon area at reasonable rates.

You can visit sites such as rent.com, apartmentratings.com etc to check the rents of apartments you like.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of help in any other way to you.

Good luck:thumbsup