1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest simple snacks for pre-school

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vdeepab4u, Jun 14, 2011.

1. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,

My son 2 years 7 months will go to pre-school from next week. I am really worried what to pack for his snack box. He is not fond of any snacks or fruits. Also his school working time is 8am to 11am. Worried how to feed him his breakfast so early. If you could give me suggestions it will be really helpful. Thanks.

2. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi..

My son 2.10 months also started Daycare/Preschool last month. He goes for 3 hours 9-12 and 5 days. I give him milk in the morning. His school provides snack at 9 and lunch at 11.30 in school. I pay the money for food so he gets used to of eating everything and indepently. He won't touch the food there at all. When he comes home he is hungry have good lunch and sleep for couple of hours.

If your baby can have milk in the morning....I guess he will be ok or you can give some crackers, gold fish, cheese, idly, boiled egg or bread with jam and peanut butter (make sure cut into pieces). But tell teachers to tell him to eat. Kids don't eat ...this is every mother story. And I totally sympathie with you. Take care.

3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

List out all the food items which your kid likes to eat (and which is easily available in your place,India). Some ready to eat foods like biscuits,bread come very handy irrespective of the time of the day. A glass of milk with boost/horlicks and a sandwich/cereal in the morning is enough for a 3 yr old breakfast. For school snack, it is better to give what he likes rather to experiment at school. Introduce new foods at home when you are around, not at school when everything will be new to kids and food should not be a scare for them.

Idli, small round dosas,sandwich, toast, juice etc,,,whatever he likes can be given in small quantities and gradually see his pattern of eating.

4. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your suggestions friends.. Instead of snacks, simple tiffin like idli and dosas sounds better.. So, if he doesnt take anything in the morning also, this tiffin can be adjusted during his school hours..

Lets wait for other moms suggestions and make this thread alive.

5. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

you can include fruits also.... cutlets, pancakes

Regards,
    Ansu:)

6. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    My 2.5 year old DS is also a pre-schooler. I too find it really difficult to make him eat breakfast in the morning. The time he has in the morning is just enough for a glass of milk. Sometimes, he has 2 biscuits/some apple pieces along with it. For snacks at school, I have tried giving him the following (he does not finish them fully, but atleast makes an attempt to eat a few morsels)
    1) Rice - carrot rice, peas pulao
    2) Rice noodles
    3) chapati - in small pieces
    4) mixed fruits with custard
    5) sundal
    6) Some times his favorite stuff like cake/payasam.

Hope this helps.

7. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Shobna, thanks for your reply. Your menu seems to work out better. But since it is only 3-4 hours class, can we give them foods or snacks ? I am confused :confused2:

8. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Pls don't offer him any junk food like chips,choclates,pizzas..etc
    Whatever you make include fresh veggies,fruits,sprouts, and make the snack colorful..

9. swarna1388

swarna1388 Silver IL'ite

Sundal is a good choice and good for health also

10. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestion dear. will keep in mind surely..