1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Craft Works : Knitting : Ideas for Sweater

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by sanravi_1970, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Re: hand knitting

Hi Humerarouf:

I love to knit baby sweaters/ caps. Last year, knitted a cap and mittens for a friend's baby.

This site below could help you get started.

Free Knitting Projects

Hope you find it useful.

Bye
    Sindhu

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

3. ramalav

ramalav New IL'ite

Hi
    I visited all the sites. Looks good . I'm too planning to knit a sweater for my daughter. Do anyone know that the size given fit well for indian kids.?

Thanks,
    rama

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi ramalav

It depends on the age and size...so you can convert and adjust...and also have to adjust throughout to bring in the change uniformly..that is if a pattern says 100sts for 32size...then if you are intending to make 80sts..then the whole pattern has to be converted accordingly..

if it is your first time...be careful when you convert...

All the best

5. ramalav

ramalav New IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,
    Thanks u very much for an immediate reply. I have knitted one sweater for my daughter 3 yrs back. Since i'm not in touch , as u said i should be careful while making changes.

thanks once again.
    Rama

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear rama,
    i always use a inch tape for this whatever be the size say 32 then i knit the border which we know the numbers and measure that way u are very sure how many stitches help you or either increase or decrease the size of needles usually this is done with no 10 to get an ordinary finish, try to mix and match and make patterns, i know it is a little extra but the child will look great as they are small. even if you have a little shortage increase immediately after the border and it will loosen the sweater for you..sunkan

7. balatv44

balatv44 New IL'ite

Hi, I saw your thread. I am writing on behalf of my wife. We reside in Chennai. My wife wants to knit for her grand daughter. She learnt knitting whe we were in Delhi. Now she has forgotten everything. We have wool and nedle. She is interested in learning a fresh. Is there any one in chennai to teach her. She is prepared to attend the classes or else if any one comes to us and teach, it is most welcome. I posted number of threads asking for these particulars. to our bad luck,Perhaps no one has read our threads. We shall be grateful if you can throw some lite on this issue.We stay in Saligramam.
    with reagards,
    BalaTV and Syamala Bala

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi balasir,

I am really happy that your wife wants to knit for her granddaughter. there are lot of art classes in the vadapalani area. knitting and crochet, as far as i have seen there are no classes taken.but the ngo asha has lot of projects of knitting. dont know if somebody could help you regarding this.

Will post a tutuorial with pictures of the stitches and how to start..if it will help you. and will find out if there is a video of the same...

9. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

dear friends,i have been a little busy lately therefore could not open this thread .thankyou for the response ,i have selected a few patterns but i think i will need some more help .i hope you will guide me a little more if needed.regards,humera

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

humera,

Will definitely help you with my limited knowledge....all the best....