Is triamcinolone safe during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by babycorn, Jun 11, 2011.

1. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

I have developed severe itching during pregnancy and it has spread to my hands,legs,thighs and most importantly abdomen.I have checked with the physician assistant in my doctor's office and she asked me to apply triamcinolone oinment twice in a day and take benadryl tablets.When I read about it in internet,triamcinolone is a class C drug and should not be taken during pregnancy.

Has anybody taken this?Any harm to the baby?

Please help.Thanks in advance.:bowdown

2. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

ChotuMeetu,

I would think twice about using triamcenalone for itching, for it is a steroid based med - We used this for my daughter's eczema. But the same drug comes in different potency - 0.010, 0.25, 0.5 etc., Please check with your gynic again and do some research before resorting to any steroid based med. I would think over-the-counter corticosteroids may be lesspotent than prescription triamcenalone.

Good luck!!

3. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the inputs.I really wanted someone to guide me on this.

Its 0.1% and it comes under high potency.I am applying caladryl lotion and trying out some home remedies.I was hesitant to apply that cream/take medicine.Iam not sure how my OBGYN is going to scold me for not taking the prescribed meds.:hide:

4. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

No doc can force a drug on someone if the patient is not comfortable using that, that too during pregnancy. You can be very open with your gynec in saying that you are not comfortable using steroid drugs at this time and I'm more than certain the doc would suggest a different med/remedy for you. Which month of pregnancy are you in? (I have 5 more weeks to go :))

5. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot smart_soul.I have taken a blood test to check for bile salts level(one more test has already been taken to check liver function and it is normal)and I have taken an appt with the chief ONGYN on friday to review the results.Your reply is reassuring to me.Thanks again:bowdown.

This is my 29th week.:)

Best Wishes and prayers for a smooth delivery:cheers