Request info on Madurai

Discussion in 'Madurai' started by Vidya24, Apr 2, 2006.

1. whiterainbow

whiterainbow New IL'ite

Hi,

I didn't remember any paintings of Meenakshi with 3 breasts in the walls of the temple but I noticed it as sculptures inside the shrine of Meenakshi... If you are a regular visitor or a new visitor to the temple to find the sculpture, just get in the special dharsan entrance of Meenakshi shrine and don't immediately get into the queue. Just turn your head to left and you can see the sculptures.... And you can pay little more to the priests for some more special dharsan (sit for 5-10 minutes in front of Mother Meenakshi), very special puja (you will get first preference in Puja and get good prashadhan), etc...

I think most of the Maduraiites don't know this thing in the walls. You can see the 108 Lingam around Swami Shrine as well the plays of God (Thiruvilayaadal) around the outer shrine of Swami.

I think these information will be helpful for you all ladies in the next time visit...

2. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

thank you ladies. lots of information abt meenakshi temple. as i m from mdu i dont know the 3 breast matter. but some how i remember that i saw the 3 breast statue. when i was small i saw somewhere. i m not sure where inside the temple or outside. i thought why they made a statue with 3 breast?like that. i didnt ask this Q to anyone. b'se we were not allowed to ask such kind of Q's or discussions. now i can match that what i saw. thank you ladies.

3. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

This was a very informative thread! Thanks Vidya for posting that Hindu link. Very interesting indeed.

4. shany

shany New IL'ite

Also visit Vandiyoor Mariamman Teppakulam

Vandiyur Mariamman Teppakulam is situated at a distance of about 5 km from the Meenakshi Amman Temple. The area of the tank, and the island pavilion with a garden in the center, is approximately equal to the area of Meenakshi Temple. It is one of the largest temple tanks in South India and gets water supply from the Vaigai River. There is a Vinayakar temple situated right in the middle of the tank, which is dedicated to Lord Vigneshwara, the Elephant-faced God.

According to mythology, earth was dug out from the tank to build the Tirumalai Nayakkar Mahal. The place was supposed to be blessed and was later converted into a Teppakulam (tank). The tank is connected to Vaigai River via underground channels. It has total of 12 long stairs (steps) made of granite on all four sides. The temple as well as the stairs was built by the King Thirumalai Nayak.

Mariamman Teppakulam is famous for the celebrations of the Float festival, which is celebrated in the Tamil month of Thai. The festival commemorates the birthday of King Thirumalai Nayak. The celebrations take place on a full moon night and the pristine water turns colourful as the temple is lit. The deities of the temple come down to the tank in colorful floats, presenting a mesmerizing sight. Pilgrims across India come to Madurai to participate in the festival.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  5. suhanithi

suhanithi New IL'ite

Hi,

let me share some info that i heard from elders..during my childhood..

The mukruni vinayagar idol was found while digging out mud to construct theppakulam( pond).(mariamman theppakulam).

There is one temple named as immayil nanmai tharuvar,sundareshwara and meenakshi are main gods.. this temple is said to be more or equally ancient as meenakshi amman temple.

Another interesting info is that you have a temple for Meenakshi amman's parents .. kanchanamalai and malaithuvajan...this temple is situated near the elukadal street, backside of puthumandapam. (Next time u visit meenakshi amman temple,get blessings from her parents too)

wonders grow..elukadal.. this is refered as 7 seas..It is said that while performing homa, the seven sea's water was brought or united here..this i am not sure.. let me confirm.

bye..
    Suha

6. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Madurai Temple is a must visit temple. It is one of the finest piece of architecture on this planet. There are several sculptures in the temple and the one mentioned here is unique. I love Madurai for the temple and food. Food is just amazing

7. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

The ezhukadal tank was at the instance of Lord Sundereswara, who wanted to please his Mother-in-law for she wanted to bathe in 7 holy seas and get rid of the karmic influences...The loving so-in-law made it happen. And now that is a shopping complex full of plastic shops. The entry is from the unfinished Raya gopuram just in front of the Pudumandapam.

The Thadagai prattiyar had three breasts, which is symbolic of the Indira Vimanam ride in which Meenakshi confronts in Digvijayam of the Chithirai festival. The breast vanishes off the Raja Mathangi as she is praised by Adi Sankara in his Shyamala Thandakam.

The interesting fact of the Pudumandapam, is that Sundaramurthy Achary's vision of the Consort queen of Tirumalai Nayak's Samudirika lakshanam and the vadu on the thigh of the queen, being reflected on the queen's sculpture and the inetrference of Neelakanda Dik****a on the issue, which resulted in blinding himself, later on the settlement of his family in Palamadai is another story. Sri Diki****a was instrumental in the location of Vibuthi Pillayar on the south-western side of the Pottramarai Kulam and the alignment of the two major festivals of Thai and Panguni into the hot months of Chithirai, when there was no harvest, has resulted into the greatest gathering humanity year after year.

That Madurai is full of festivals and Dik****ar silently and wanted to fade into oblivion- nowhere is statue is found and the only one which represents is a later image on the Sanakara mutt wall of Rameswaram is conceptual. Even his birthdate and aardhanai was unknown until the Seer of Sringeri told the kin of this history. The pooja vigrahams which Dikishtha worshipped are a part of the Sringeri Pontiff's daily pooja.

I humbly state that I am a part of the lineage of Dik****ha and I belong to a family of this history.

8. sundiya

sundiya New IL'ite

HI ILS.SOME OTHER INFOS ARE MEENAKSHI AMMAN WEARS MARAGATHA MUKUTHI(NOES RING) WHICH SHINES GREATLY.PEOPLE VISITING TEMPLE SHOULD FIRST WORSHIP MEENKSHI AND THEN LORD SHIVA IS AITHIGAM.
    THEN WORD MEENAKSHI MEANS FEMALE with BEAUTIFUL EYES LIKE FISH (WHO NEVER CLOSES HER EYES) NEVER SLEEPS , TO LOOK FOR THE PROTECTION OF HER PEOPLE AND HER PLACE MADURAI.:thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010