1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Did anyone lose weight by eating oats?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pman16, Mar 12, 2009.

1. FirSrk

FirSrk Senior IL'ite

I consumed oats 4-5 times weekly from Feb to May. Either for breakfast or for dinner. I was exercising as well. Lost consistently 2-2.5 kg per month. I had mine with 1/2 cup whole milk and one apple.

2. LakshmiMohan

LakshmiMohan Gold IL'ite

It is advised to consume 35gms oats in one serving.You can have 2 servings per day.I used to have it with curd,a bit of salt and vegetables.

3. jewel4u86

jewel4u86 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I am having saffola oats, to reduce weight will be helpful:

I prepare oats by putting 3/4 tbsp oil, add mustard seed, chana dal, udad dal then once they get brownish i add some tomato, capsicum, salt and green chilly, then add some water and 3/4 tea cup of oats then cook it.

Will this help me in lossing weight or i will gain weight with it.

I am having it regularly in the morning as my breakfast with a small cup of skimmed milk (no sugar).

Please suggest if i m wrong or some other quality oats to be used for weight loss.

Thanks,
    Jewel4u86

4. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

But jewel , why are you taking oats daily ?

5. drsurabhijain

drsurabhijain Silver IL'ite

Hi,

You may have reached plateau phase. now it will be very very difficult losing weight. You need extremely fluctuating diet and exercise regime.

6. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

I substitued 2 spoons of oats (one minute quaker oats) instead of rice for my lunch and lost about 6 pounds in 3 weeks. I take same quantity of sambar/dhal/spinanch or other veggies ...just removed rice from lunch. I also walked 3 miles a day (for about 5 days a week). Hopet his helps.

7. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

i will try this.. i have been eating oats as breakfast but did not find any change in weight.. let me try urs

8. ashimasd

ashimasd Silver IL'ite

is there any way to make oats tastier?

9. raina10

raina10 New IL'ite

Yes I lost weight but not "by eating oats" but by substituting some other foods with oats. I was 60 kgs and wanted to shed 5 kgs in 5 months (no hurry). I started in an exercise program with weight training, yoga and cardio which toned me, but for weight loss i modified my diet. I achieved my target in 3 months and have since then lost another 2 kgs. I now have oatmeal once a day at lunch instead of dinner.

Breakfast is 2 egg whites and 1 yolk made into an omlette with herbs and veggies (spring onions, mushrooms, tomatoes), and a bowl of bran flakes followed by a fruit an hour later.

Midmorning I have nuts and a glass of spiced buttermilk.

Lunch is masala oats (by Quaker in India) with a handful of beans or sprouts or grilled chicken and some yoghurt.

3 hours later I have some fruit and green tea

Dinner is some protein (dal or chicken/fish), vegetables and one phulka

You have to be super sensible on any diet and it should be monitored by a dietician to make sure you are eating healthy. I have studied nutrition and yet benefited from support by a professional. I am now at 53 kgs and am on a maintenance plan. I do eat out but very sensibly

All the best!!

1 person likes this.
  10. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Thanks gals for the useful info.

I want to loose at least 7 kgs for my ideal wt. so thot of replacing rice with oats for my lunch..

how about oats gruel.. is this better than oats kichadi.. or eating with sambhar or curry???

will it get digested very fast to feel hungry again ?