Can Women achieve a work-life balance???

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by ayeshanaaz, May 25, 2007.

1. ayeshanaaz

ayeshanaaz Junior IL'ite

Yes....

Women can achieve a Work life Balance , by applying few realistic yet simple rules to their lives:

1) Make up your mind first whether you want to take this responsibility of managing both office & work.

If yes then programme your mind that you are not a super women , who will do all chores and still not feel tired. You are an individual, having full right to enjoy leisure time, good sleep and good health.

2) You, your husband and children are all responsible for the house. So try to share all the responsibilities equally(as per their age). I bet you can train your children this way. But for husbands.... u need to try hard.

3) You can have a maid ( for that extra comfort & save time). After all you can pay a small % of your salary to get that comfort & time is ............worth it.

4) Prefer a private transport to save your time. to & fro to your work place.

5) Decide in advance how your are going to spend the weekends, so that u can get refreshed in your working days but just thiking of the weekend ahead.

6) REMEMBER YOU ARE THE HEART OF THE FAMILY.

7)Take goodcare of your health. You should be the most important person for yourself. do good ......look great. It will boost your confidence & energies.

I hope you can take uo the world with these simple yet realistic rules.

Bye

2. sravugarimella

sravugarimella New IL'ite

Hi Ayesha,

thanks for the Tips, very simple things in life will make a great difference. I am a full time employee with a 5.5yrs old boy and sometimes the guilt kills me of not spending enough time with him. Also specially when you see the house messy the guilt crops over again. My husband helps me a lot in the kitchen and other stuff but its just you wont find enough time to spend with each other in the week days. But as you said I think instead of moaning about it everyday I will just tune my mind to work in the week days and spend quality time in the weekends. I think I should learn not to care when the hosue is messy:goodidea: , specially if u are abroad it becomes really tiresome as you have to do everything for urself. Maintaining a maid is really expensive. So I will just stick to basic.

Lets see if anyone else can give us some more tips.

3. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Hello Ayesha,
    Your tips for working women were good. Iwould like to add one more point from my experience though I am not a working woman. I am an office bearer in a charitable organisation and hence have to do quite a bit of travelling as well as working from home. What I have noticed is we as women are willing and able to do a lot of our house work with the assistance of maids. If the people at our home just provide the psycological support by being understanding, our physical work seems easy. But if there is some emotional stress then we are not able to cope up with both home as well as work. So my personal opinion is that women should learn to keep there cool in most trying situations if we want to keep our BP levels in the right level.

4. ayeshanaaz

ayeshanaaz Junior IL'ite

Hi sravanthi,

Very true....Being mother of a 4month old, the guilt of not spending time with him , haunts me each & every second. but again I console myself saying, the time I am spending away for him, is only to make his future......... this thought gives me some comfort.

But as u said there is no point in moaning over what we cannot do, instead look for better possibilities of what we can do. If we donot lean much on our emotional side & try to be practical we will over come this & will be able to strive a good balance b/w our work/home lives.

hope u agree.

regards
    Ayesha

5. ayeshanaaz

ayeshanaaz Junior IL'ite

Hello Malathi,

Thanks for adding that point........KEEPING OUR COOL AT ALL TIMES...............

I totally agree with that. If there is some psychological support system then we feel less of the physical strain...................u know women's foundation is made of emotions................ HOW TYPICAL OF US.

regards
    Ayesha

6. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

I joined the group just today and I had to add something to this topic because like many of my fellow working moms here, I too am trying hard to get that worklife balance in my own life! I am mother of a 5 yr old and a 15 mnth old.

This advice about "keeping our cool" is really the crux! Most of the times we can function much better and do a lot more in a much better way if we are emotional sound and feel cared for.

My Dad always tells me this one thing that has helped me a lot in trying to get my cool back whenever I see losing it. He says, life is a game of chess. You can't win if you lose your cool. You can make the best moves if you watch in silence, keep your cool and focus on what your next move should be. If you lose your cool, you are bound to make a mistake.

Easier said than done though!

Has anyone found some good tips to keep and strengthen the bonding between husband and wife as life becomes hectic and free time becomes a luxury w/kids, demanding jobs, less or no support in household chores?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

SS

7. Pree

Pree New IL'ite

I am a working mom too - 10 yr old and a 4 yr old;both boys.

Here are some points from my side -

1. make it known to your family if u have a busy week whead/unusual work load or expect any travel.
    2. Since we are only human, if we want to be left alone at the end of the day and you by mistake yelled at ypur kid, don't spend another precious hour on a guilt trip. Apologize once you have relatively cooled off. Explain that you had a tough day if your kid is old enough.

3. Its my personal experience that kids are more wiser than we give them credit for - they do pick up on our moods. and if we explain to them well, they can even be our shoulder to lean on and we can have more meaningful conversations.

4. Never let office work intrude on personal time. if you have any entertainment planned for the weekends include kids as much as possible. Unless you have babies or teenagers who can entertain themselves, all the in-between years are our responsibility!!

5. Even if you get just an hour with your kid, pack a day into it. This is where we need to apply all our time management skills.

At work too, learn to priortize- there must be work that can be done tomorrow as well, instead of today. Keep an eye on the clock. Just as you have a responsibility to be at work at the right time, you have a responsibility to be back at home at a reasonable hour too.

Remember, the bottom line - we can always find another job, but not another family.

8. Kaamna

Kaamna New IL'ite

Ayesha,

I love your point #6 about women being the heart of the family. this is something i try to be more and more aware of, especially as a working woman in america. i need to keep the connection between my own family and our culture and values.

i have found that one of the best ways to achieve work-life balance as a woman in america is to engage our husbands. we don't have the kinds of support in terms of family and domestic help as we do in india, and our husbands, indian or not, need to understand and help fill that gap.

thanks
    kaamna

9. Rakshana

Rakshana New IL'ite

These are some great tips indeed. It's hard nowadays to have a successful career and also not lose your natural place in the heart of the family. A very good structure and schedule are a good thing, knowing how to delegate (as you already mentioned, getting a maid, trying to get the family involved too) .. we don't have to forget that our families need us too, there are many times we just get swamped in work and forget about our dear ones.

And not punishing my family for my bad day at work is also something I have tried to do for the last years. When you have a miserable and hard day at work it's so hard to come back home and be "cool" and nice about it, but I always try to remember that my family is not to blame for my career problems.

10. Rashmita

Rashmita New IL'ite

You came with some very good avices regarding the balance between your family, social life and work! I am very optimistic when i think about that, i am more than sure that we can be very good at both of them :)

I think the best tip ever was given by Benjamin Franklin - never leave till tomorrow what you can do today :D Organise yourself as best as you can, and take care of your priorities first... But take care of your health also, get as much sleep as you can. exercise whenever is possible, and so on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008