1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove hard water strain on granite floor

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Rarey, May 30, 2011.

1. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi IL's,

Due to salt water my kitchen granites are looking very horrible.. It's in white colour now..:bang Pls pls help me to remove those salt water strains.

Thanks in advance.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I would try using some lemon juice or white vinegar (which ever is cheaper) and wet a kitchen towel with it and place over the mark so that it will soak for a while.

3. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

I have used vinegar.. But i am not satisfied with that. How is Ciff cleaning agent.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Don't know on that one. I did have some good success with using oxyclean in the bathroom in India on marble but it didn't make it shiney but lightened up and cleaned. Made a solution and poured andleft it on the floor for some hours.

5. ranjaniagn

ranjaniagn New IL'ite

Dear Rarey,

I don't know if it will work on granite or not, but I used this in steal vessels, plastic buckets & mugs in bathroom, to remove the hard water stains. First get some plain acid from market, dilute it in a separate mug with little water, apply this solution on the stains with a stick wrapped with cloth, be careful in handling the solution, avoid contact with skin. First apply the solution in a small area and leave it for some time and scrubbe it with coconut coir brush, if it works good then continue. But I have removed successfully in the above said items. Other market items are only waste.

Please let me know the outcome whatever it may be.

Ranjani.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

I used harpic and cleaned using a tooth brush,cleans thoroughly all the salt on the granite. Once the surfac eis dry apply coconut oil to add glossy finish an dprevents salt formation for few more days.:thumbsup

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Wet the area. use a small scraper and scrape it off carefully. you actually get a putty scraper that is used by carpenters/painter..a thin sheet of metal with a blunt side to hold and a sharper side that is used to scrape..this when used carefully, removes the scales without leaving lines..i use this.

apart from this you get a liquid cleaner from bal endura, available at some of the tiles shops..they have one for hard tile cleaner, and another for cp fittings which really helps a lot with removing the salt sediments..but use it with your discretion... i have tried it, feels ok but i am not sure of regular use.

i feel harpic/acid everything leaves a white sheen residue on color tiles.. better use them diluted well and applied with a tile brush..and brushed immediately.

google for putty scraper for an idea.

8. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi Ranju,

Thanks for ur suggestion. I m very scared about using acids. And my husband also wont allow me to buy. Will keep in mind.

9. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi Nittu,

I didnt use harpic for granites. I used on tiles but it deposits white marks. Thanks for ur idea too.

10. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,

thanks for ur suggestion. I m in chennai, and where i can get that putty scrappers...in hardwre shops..? How to ask them in shops.

Can we get cleaner in tiles shops.. Sorry for too many questions.

And you are correct about Harpic. If we let them for even 5 min white marks are only left in addition to the soap scum in bathroom.. it looks horrible