H4 to F1 Visa Transfer

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by uma321, May 30, 2010.

1. neerrali

neerrali Senior IL'ite

Hi Priya,

1. You need to be a full time student for one full academic year before availing OPT. Some univeristies also allow a student to study full time on H4 and transfer to F1 in the last semester(to save fees) and they can avail OPT.
    Check with your university for details specific to them

2. You will have to pay SEVIS fee of $200 and USCIS I-539 filing application fee of $290 for COS from H4 to F1

3. Generally you get it immediately after completing one full academic year. But again these things vary from university to university, so I advise you check on the specifics with your university.

Hope this helps :thumbsup

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Very useful thread. A couple of my questions got answered before I even posted. Thank You ladies :)
    I still have some questions.

1. can the school 'suggest/force' us to go on a F-1 visa. I have been admitted to a program and the international student's office says i should study on F-1. Is there a rule somewhere? I did not ask the office for more details as this was over the phone and I"ll need to go to the school to get details,which i plan to do this week.

2. When applying to the program, I did not mention that I need a f-1 visa. I am eligible for in-state tuition here in my state. So I just applied on my current H-4 visa. So,is this a problem that I did not mention my intended F-1 status to the school? Also, if I do a COS,when do I start paying non-resident tution? is it the day I apply for COS or is the day COS is approved?

This is all for now :)

3. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Pranam.
    I"ll definitely check with the International students office this week on the non-resident fee being applied after COS is initiated and the CPT/OPT rules.

And is there a problem because I did not mention that I want to do the program on F-1 in my initial application?

5. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

No I don't think there is any problem as a change of status in between semester is completely legal and so many people do it all the time.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks pranam. that is a big relief.
    I browsed through the USCIS webiste too and even in that website, it looked like a COS(I539) can be filed anytime. this guy at the international students office was so rude to me! i wanted to do my homework before i meet him so that i will have then answers ready.
    I think I"ll do my COS once the fall semester starts. So that by the end of it, I"ll definitely be through the COS assuming that it takes a maximum of 4-5 months.

thanks again.

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Friends, I have another question.

Is it risky to initiate a COS to F1 in the middle of the semester? I read somewhere(I think a website of a univ) that F-1 COS should not be approved earlier than 30 days of the next semester start date. Not sure how true this is.

Also, if I want to study for the spring 2012 semester(classes start end jan) on a F-1 visa, when would be a good time to initiate the transfer? I Plan to do the fall 2011 semester on my current visa(H-4).
    Or is it best to go to India in(Dec/Jan), and get the stamping done? I am planning a trip during the christmas/new year time anyway.

8. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

If you are planning a trip in December anyway, then you cannot apply for COS.

COS becomes invalid once you travel out of the country.You will have to get a visa stamped.

Only if you do not plan to travel, should you go ahead with COS.

I haven't heard of the 30 day rule.

9. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Ok, Thanks Pranam. What I mean to say is, if I initiate COS in august or so and then travel in DEc/Jan ,will that be a problem? Or since I am anyway planning travel in Dec, is it a better idea to wait until then and go for stamping directly instead of initiating a COS and waiting for it to come through.

I too have not heard of any 30-day rule, still will need to research this I believe.
    Thanks again.

10. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

Hey maybe I was not clear the first time.Let me try again.
    If you apply for COS in Aug and are awaiting a decison on it, or even if it gets approved and you have to travel in Dec, you will still have to get an F-1 stamped

Your visa on the passport is still H-4,you will have to get it stamped to an F-1 to re-enter as a student.You cannot enter on an F-1 with just a COS supporting documents.Also approval on COS does not necessarily mean your F-1 will be approved.Read about it more on Murthy.

In my opinion, it is a better idea to wait till Dec, get it stamped to F-1, assuming of course you still have time on your H-4.If it gets approved, well and good.If it gets rejected for some reason,you can still come on an H-4 and apply for COS immediately after.