1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

please help me

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Tavishi25, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

hi friends
    pl help me
    my son is 3yr old,from 20days morning while my husband go to office he is crying nonstop for almost 30min ,giving chocolate some new toys but no use ,as crying for long time his face,lips,eyes everything getting red and he is unable to talk at that time. Night while sleeping he used to chant 'tomorrow dad will go to office he should not go' he wont sleep properly .and morning after stopping crying he will be normal,eating and everything also normal. but night while going to bed and morning 1hr is very critical. He is already thin,so this is worrying alot.
    My husband is not able to concentrate in office by this
    Will u please help me ,did anyone face this problem if what should i do pl suggest me
    thanks in advance
    Tavishi

2. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Tavishi,
    I guess this problem is there with every toddler, when their mom/dad leave for work. They are so attached to being with their parents, that their absence is too hard for them to digest. Have you tried taking him out when your husband leaves for work? Try taking him out for a walk some 10-15 mins before he leaves for work. Make sure he is engaged in something that he likes doing (like drawing/building blocks etc). Since he is 3 years old, try explaining him gently that just like how he has to go to school, dad also has to go to office. He will slowly understand. Hope this helps!

3. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Shobana
    I will try as u said, actually the thing is he will wake while wearing shoes r dressing like that and one more thing iam having a baby of 10 months old so bit difficult for me to stop
    Thanks for ur suggestions i surely try and reply u in next week
    Tavishi

4. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

It looks like he is learning to anticipate that his dad will not be around for a day, and its making him anxious. Kids that young can't at times handle these emotions and he is likely to grow out of it.

You could try some thing REALLY distracting, try telling him a story with lots of sensory or motor inputs (like big actions, big laugh, mock crying and so on) and try to pique his curiosity, he will forget the crying and get engaged in your story or something.

Don't try giving him something like candies and stuff, its likely to send him the message that he gets attention when he cries like that, which isn't what you want.

Can you put make him sleep when his dad leaves? Or can the dad call him and talk to him on the way to office or once he reaches there? Knowing that he is still there will help him realize that physically going away doesn't mean dad is just gone.

Can you take him out or something along with dad? He can drop you two off at a park or whatever on the way out - the new sorroundings or something to look forward to will also distract your child and he will have the satisfaction that dad took him on his way out.

5. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Dhaanika for ur reply
    Yes, u r correct he is habituating to cry for everything k i will try to change that
    yesterday we went out and today he slept so he didnot cry.

Thanks

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Tavishi, another way of helping him cope is ask him to help his dad to get ready with simple things like can you find dad's socks or can you give him his luch box? and sound all excited about it that he is a big helper. Also in the evenings when dad is about to get home, mention it and get him ready to give a big hug :) It might work. I am sure he will out grow it soon......

7. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

Hi Srama
    Thanks for ur ideas
    I will try this way also
    Thanks

8. Sri09

Sri09 Senior IL'ite

Hi Tavishi,

My daughter started doing this during her first year. When my husband goes to office or outside she used to cry and wait for him at the door, play in the area close to the door etc. She does that even now. So, I try to distract her, tell her I love her, ask her to give me a hug, kiss, give her some new toy, or a kitchen utensal and tell her to say bye to daddy. It works most of the time.
    Sri

9. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

Thanks sri
    today only i saw ur post
    yes iam doing the same but sometimes he wont stop now im taking him out, this week k he is not crying
    im making him sleep f not outside i will give blocks,r tell stories
    thanks

10. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

tavishi - i can relate to you

my DS does the same to me. never to DH!!

the moment i wake up, Ds is also up within ten mins of me getting up, no matter how early.

the anywhere i move or go (kitchen, bathroom, ouside, etc) -he starts howling.

the moment im out of bath and changed clothes, he knows im going to go. wil keep on following me every step and wanting me to carry him. i do that most times..

but when im leaving, i ask my DH/mil/maid to take him in another room so he doesnt see me leaving. i tell the 'bye' ten mins before leaving. or i wil ask dh to bring Ds down and then wave good bye. DS knows he is not allowed anywhere without me beyond the house gate. so mostly he will wave bye.

best is - avoid them seeing the parent go. tell byes in advance. or distract them with something new/fav things