1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences as a new bride..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by honeybee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

Good morning!!
    Really fun thread to read. I have to say I envy all of you'll who have been able to spend quality time with in-laws and have enjoyed it. Having good in-laws is the best thing "ever" its like God gives you a second set of parents.

Anyways, my "funny" experience was soon after marriage we moved to the US. I knew "some cooking" but US gadgets like the microwave were new to me. Once, my hubby's friend came over to stay at our place. They were friends in college and were now working for the same company. For breakfast I asked his friend if he would like me to prepare an egg for him. He said yes a boiled egg. Then he suggested to me that I should just make it quiclky in the microwave. I confirmed with him if doing this was possible, and he "very confidently" said "yes yes microwave cooking is so easy". Since I din't have much knowledge I trusted his judgement. Needless to say the egg burst in the microwave and the whole thing was such a mess. shakehead
    My husband and his friend were getting late for work so his friend said "sorry bhabhi: gave a huge smile and left me to clean the mess. To date whenever we meet it gives us alot of laughs. :lol:
    ~ N

2. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies

So many interesting reads in this thread :)

I cannot forget one incident that happenned just one day post my wedding.
    I had a very decent gown and robe as my night wear. i was a little contious as i had never worn a gown for a night suit ever and thought would miss my simple t-shirt pajama comfort. To top it, my MIL also gifted a set of gown and robe.Anyhow, everyone told me, such an attire is expected from a new bride and there is no need to feel shy about it. Besides, i had no other alternative for night wear - so there i was...

As I entered my bedroom intending to sleep, i noticed my husband, MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL sitting and chit-chatting generally. :eek:mg:it was a simple family talk happenning and i felt embarrassed from tip to toe!!! Although my nightwear were complete decent and in fact, my MIL & SIL were also wearing robes alike, but i felt very nervous. Luckily, my MIL sensed it and my discomfort ended soon!:oops:
    The result - i was out in the market purchasing a shirt-pajama night suit for me within three days of marriage!!! :lol:

Its so wierd! Everyone expects/plans a certain dress up, culture from a new bride - though it has its own share of charm and delight, at times it brings a little embarrasement with it too.
    Till date, i have the two night-robes hung in the corner of my closet and they get a chance to be worn only when everything else is in the washing machine bonk

Cheers
    Charu..

3. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Honeybee,

Good for startup the thread.

Nice Thread to share our bride experience. Let me tell my Exp. Mine is arranged marriage.But i know him before our marriage ,but not his family members, since he is frnd of my BIL,.We used to chat(less), but we both don't know that we''ll get married.Anyway its almost 5 happy yrs gone, but v feel like newly married..:)

After our marriage ceremony, we came to my ILs place.In our Indian Tradition, the new bride light the lamp(Kuthuvilakku). I'm not used to light the candle or gas stove with match boxes.We can't use lighters for that day. When i was asked to light the lamp in the pooja room, i was scratching the match box for lots of time to lighten up, but couldn't make for some time. My MIL's sister was ther n some others too.I was soo scared , since i wouldn't light up.Then she asked me, 'If u take such a long time to even light this, then how'll you cook for us(ILs) and take care of us". I just gave a smile n kept quite, but all were making fun.I couldn't say anything , even we won't ,since tat's the new place and all are new to me.Anyway till now my ils are good and friendly.
    Hope you all can guess how i would hav been at that time as a new bride.:oops:

Thanks for reading my story. Hope it's not boring...

Cheers,
    Pinky:wave

4. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Message deleted.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  5. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Good post guyz. But with me it was opposite. Actually i was in US for my MS so i used to cook a lot. So after my marriage one day i husband said he will cook something special for me and asked me to relax for a day. He took almost an entire day to cook and made gutti vankaya (brinjal curry) and dal. And tht day i came to know how horrible cook my husband was...and tht was the last day i ever trusted my husband with a meal...i'm happy cooking myself
    :)
    cheers,
    Riya:):)

6. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

A good thread.
    My experience was rather emotional than humorous! Right after the day of our wedding, I was too tired and fell sick.[probably due to the rituals and 3 hours of standing for the reception, continuous talking and almost empty stomach]. I had developed a high fever and was almost unconscious and my horrified hubby took great care of me...sat next to me throughout the night changing the wet cloth on my forehead, etc.[I still cherish those moments after 3 years]. He even decided to cancel the honeymoon.My parents came, advised me to gather strength and experience the newly wed feeling and not to cancel the honeymoon. Then we paid a visit to my family doctor who just said...happens...take this tablet and you'll be alright...he gave me a simple antibiotic and the next early morning we were on the flight for our honeymoon :queen
    Well, later hubby confided in me that his elder sis gave him a proper lecture on how to treat a wife. Hubby's elder brother gave him a piece of advise on behaving well with the new wife. They all assumed that my hubby has behaved rudely on the first night...Hmm! :hatsoff
    Well, my hubby was not at all at fault...it was just the hectic rituals that took a toll on my health. :redface:

7. sasisenthil

sasisenthil New IL'ite

Hi,

Good blog... I had a great experience. On my first day in my husband's house after marriage, my MIL bought Fish and asked me to cook it (she left on a personal work outside). I used to cook Non veg in my house but I never cooked shark just use to njoy eating. somehow managed to make and it came well. Everyone praised me except my husband's elder brother... (he always comments on my cooking... he notes even small mistakes..). I got upset over that comment. My husband noticed my upset and asked me not to cook anything there in their house. I started my full fledge cooking once we started staying alone...

Thanks.

8. Pinky Chawla

Pinky Chawla New IL'ite

My experience as new bride!!! hmm I entered as new bride into a big joint family infact my Fils parents too were there when I got married, I was made to sit in the drawing hall and everyone young and old started pouring their questions, what is my favourite dish?,how fast can I cook? what dish am I really good at cooking? My god I actually
    started feeling dizzy coz I didnt know a thing in cooking at that time. Then there where around 50 relatives in the house and all the ladies first showed me the way to the kitchen (even before I could c our room).
    My hubbys elder bhabi (my cosis) said today I can help them and from tomorrow they will start teaching me, so freinds! the very first day, I was peeling onions, cutting veggies, and the other ladies were too busy to even notice me.
    Chee!! I dont want any bride to have an experience like me. I swear , once my son gets married, I will be pleased to give her all the privacy she needs in the begining of the marriage.
    Pinky

9. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Dear Pinky Chawla,

You seem to be a very sweet person. Many people dont learn good things from their experience, but you are being sweet by saying you would offer privacy for your dil. I'm moved by your gesture.
    I do hope lots of happiness come pouring your way.

Love,
    Hema

10. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies,

I am visiting this thread after a loooooooooooong time.bonkNice to read all your experiences. :coffeeExpecting more and more from the new ILs. Bow