Mother's Day Special Contest - Are you a super mom? - May 2011

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shameema

shameema Senior IL'ite

The word “mother” itself includes a sense of security and "motherhood" is a mixture of caring, sharing, sacrifice and most of all giving up for the well being of their family members. Though every occupation we are involved in comes to an end, a mother's job is always a beginning. Nurturing of her child is one of the important role played by a mother.
    Basically, I am a working mother, blessed with three kids – one daughter and two sons. If you are working, I am sure that you will know that each day is organized in a timetable format. Amid tight schedule, I try my best to spend some time with them. For me each day starts with a prayer, then cooking, waking up & bathing the kids, packing their lunch bags to school, sending them off to school and also to make sure that my hubby’s chores are also complete. I enjoy the weekends, though it is the time where we get to finish our one week household chores like cleaning, washing, to press the clothes etc. etc. process. It is the only time where my children & husband are at home. Being a working woman, to spend more amount of time with the family has become a dream that does not come true. To my knowledge, this reality is being faced by most of the working mothers.
    I always wished to be a mother with a difference and wish to get involved in all my kid’s activities. But this remains only as a wish. There were times, when my children came up telling, I was first in this event.., I won a prize for this…, I was adjudged the best student…, I am considered as an active gymnastics… But as my mind was always occupied with the next day’s work, I give less heed to what they say. Nevertheless, these are the times when they should be given a word of applause. Only when we get older, we get to know about how we enjoyed the busy schedule and how we missed the good old days with the children…..a nostalgic remembrance.
    For all those women with a hectic schedule, let’s make a resolution to spare some moments with our little ones cos’ time & tide waits for none.:coffee

2. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Dear Varloo aunty,

Congrats on being such a wonderful mom. Your last paragraph has words for young mothers like us. They are words that are proven. Thanks so much for sharing.

Regards
    Karthika.

3. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Dear Luckylady,

Hats off to you on facing those challenges. My prayers for you to consider yourself a super mom really really soon.

Regards,
    Karthika.

4. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Are you a Super mom

I am striving hard to be one. Any mom has a set of rules for herself which she tries daily. I am one of them and these are some of mine. Some days I score most of these,but there are days when I score none. So I am always striving to be a super mom who scores all of these, always.

Health is wealth.
    So I am striving hard to cook lots of vegetables in the form they like and protein rich foods for their growing bodies.I am trying hard to include leafy veg too.

Being connected with kids is necessary for proper development.
    Creating lines of communication early and having it open will help them feel comfortable to share about any issues they face. I am trying to spend quality time with them and being available to talk.I listen to them and ask about friends as friends play an important role in their life now(one of my son is 6 yrs old).

Self esteem is the armor against anxiety and fear.
    So I strive hard to give the needed praise to my children and make them feel good about themself. A book 'Me I Am!' By Jack Prelutsky for children age4+ and 'Sugar Plum Ballerinas' By Deborah Underwood for 7+ are supposed to be good books for kids,about self esteem. I am planning to give it a glance.

Comparing kids leads to dissatisfaction in their self.
    So I am striving hard to resist the urge to compare my son with his peers ,be it for eating or be it for behavior.

Doing things the routine way calms them down.
    I am trying hard to stick to a routine for weekdays and one for weekends. I am trying to give them the comfort of doing the things in order and get used to that repeated rhythm.

Life skills like refusal skills are important to face this challenging world.
    So I strive hard to make them say NO when they have to say NO. I make them come out and talk what they feel, even when playing with friends.

Learning healthy habits early will come a long way in life.
    So I try hard to remember and make my kids do them, right from washing hands before eating to wearing sunscreen before going out.

Being consistent is the key to disciplining.
    So I am striving hard to set some rules and stick on to it.I am trying hard not to excuse them once and be strict to them the other time. I try to make my messages look clear. If I say 'no eating while watching TV' I should not let them loose once or sit with my snack plate in front of the TV.

Children need awareness about different things.
    So I am striving to hint them about tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs in a manner appropriate to their age. I am striving hard that I do not over-do it and loose the positive result.

As the saying in Tamil goes 'yaettu suraikkai karikku udhavaadhu'(Meaning: If you write the name of a vegetable in a paper, its not going to be your food), its not enough if we know what to do, we have to inculcate it in raising the children.

So I am trying hard. Trying whole heartedly to be a super mom, like any mom would, itself means BEING A SUPER MOM, Shall I say !!!

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Karuth,
    thanks a lot. I am still trying to improve myself as per the changing time and needs, it is a constant process.

6. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

Thanks you Varloo aunty for sharing your story.......it will be an inspiration to many of us...........

You truly are a Super-Mom aunty....and your son a Super-Son........God bless both of you.....!!!!

7. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

I wish you all the best luckylady.....and one day i m sure you too would be as good a mom as yours!!!

My prayers are with your son and i wish him all the strength and happyness....... so that one day he can stand on his own.......and prove his worth to the whole world....and make you happy...........

8. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

Yes , you are the super mom

i can only say these words and no words are enough to say wat u r

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Varloo dear you really are a super mom having so much patience. All the best to your son. May God bless him with good health always. You are a role model to all the mothers in the world.

10. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

" I used to get complaints from his peers about his unruly behavior in class every single day. I took it like Mother Yeshodha who had to hear complaints about the naughty Krishna. Worse was the attitude and comments of people who thought they were flawless."

These lines shows how much positive ur , from this thread i came to know about one thing supermoms are not born but made ,

ur r really a super mom .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.