Has child labour taken new form in educated society?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Special, Apr 6, 2011.

1. malumohan

malumohan New IL'ite

im so sad when thinking about these children's future........

2. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

A thought form a friend in another context:
    "
    Courtesy: Karmayog-Hyd
    Post By: "Padmaja Yeddanapudi"

Dears All,
    The Babus and Memsahebs that speak about the right to education ignore one basic positive feature in our country.There is an established,standardised but unrecognised method of education in India.A five year old boy gets employed by a tailor.By the age of 12 he expertly stitches shirts,blouses,pants etc.By the age of 16 he starts his own tailoring establishment and he actually gives employment to others.By the age of 25,he becomes a respected and prosperous member of the society.Similarly a boy gets employed as a child worker under a building maistry.By the age of 15 he becomes a good maistry.By the age of 20 he becomes a building contractor.

There are hundreds of trades in our country which start training from childhood and those children are becoming expert craftsmen and are also becoming financially prosperous.Electricians,Plumbers,TV mechanics,Scooter and automobile mechanics,painters,footwear makers etc get their training from their childhoods.IN THE MOST SHORT SIGHTED MANNER THEY ARE CALLED CHILD LABOURERS. May be there are cases of exploitation.But the present policy aims at dismantling this wonderful vocational training tradition.

The boys are removed from this training and dumped into schools which lack furniture,toilets,drinking water etc.Often there are no teachers.In many private schools, half the staff in the staff register is bogus.They pay salaries in hundreds to the unqualified teachers though the teachers sign for thousands of rupees as salary.The main income of these teachers is private tution but these labourer children who simply want to go back to their vocational training do not take to the private coaching.

Unless the informal vocational training now in existence in our country is factored,the RTE will be an exercise arising out of gross ignorance.

A reply by "Usha Boppana"

The formal education doesn't prepare the young for any disciplinary work.The forced formal education is also taking away the children from the opportunities of apprenticeship and leave them with no skills as they grow into adults.

In addition to the professions you mentioned, I feel the entire handicraft and handloom sector also suffer from this forced education which doesn't provide skills.A marketing system must be created where they get attractive remuneration for working on their arts and we as members of society, should also inculcate respect for artisans. These arts that are taught by parents in loving supervision and care build better families as well.

A formal education where these children learn curriculum that is useful to them like some civics, geography, maths etc is taught at levels with optional exams would be welcome.

Regular routine, supervised learning, skill building, self employment, childs personality development all happen in this format. I wish we see that day where some change in thought is welcome.
    -- '

Thank you.

3. varuna rai

varuna rai New IL'ite

I agree with jayalakshmi, because this problem will continue till the time we have bad governance in our country and population, i think this child labour should be legalized provided the owner will give a legal document that he or she will educated them thru open schools and take care of them, at least this situation is better than the situation we see on roads, small children begging, doing construction work, and lot many heavy physical work, there should be legalized way to hire a child labour (education, food,clothes) it should be more like an adoption.

4. padmaprabha

padmaprabha Senior IL'ite

The other day I was going on the scooter with my daughter and suddenly the vehicle stalled and stopped. we were wondering what to do when I saw a small road-side repair shop under a tree . We pushed the scooter and the man took a look at it and he said he could fix it and we were glad that help was at hand. The mechanic called out to his assistant to bring some tool from the tool box. We saw a little boy of 12 come wearing a geese stained shirt and started repairing the scooter!
    . Now what do I do? If I refuse the child labour, we have to push the scooter, God knows how far. If we allow the little boy fix the scooter, I am guilty of " engaging child labour' What I do? What would you do? Some times we get cought in a situation like this most inadvertently!!

5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    for a one child learning skill there can be tens if not hundreds suffering.......a child learning tailoring job has to sit all day usually in dark rooms,is paid less for more work,abused verbally,beaten .........yes,he can turn into a talented tailor in future but can he turn into Manish malohtra.....NO. only education can make him be that.....its no justification for robbing a child of childhood.

schools maybe without teachers or amenities but still they are the fundamental right of each & every child......just image your own 5 yr old child made to sweep the house & then mop it followed by washing clothes & utensils.....will you justify it by saying that its what he is going to do when adult so let him get the talent.NO ,u will be the first one to shout'abuse'.....same with all those little artisians you speak about ......sitting all day chiselling little marble taj mahals for us ,taking in the dust & turning asthmatic by age of 15.

lets not brainwash ourself that we are doing these little artisians favour by letting them acquire talent.there is always two ways of looking at things & its upto us to judge whether the side we are looking at is the right side or not.
    pragati

6. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

only too true Mahajanpragati
    they are children after all, not miniature adults
    they will have all their adult life to work and build up business. its not fair to sour up the magic of childhood with adult work. being able to play is valuable for children s development.
    school should be mandatory and free with the supplies paid for by the state , after all without the skills that are taught there it will not be easy to run a business in the contemporary world. people will try to take advantage of you if you cant read or write. or dont have computer skills.
    its not too late to start training with 15 or 16 in these crafts and u can still master them, perhaps more easily then with 5.

7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Sorry but I am going to be blunt.

Why don't you educate the kid without drawing all the work from that poor kid? If you going to give some good education to the underprivileged why not do it without any bribe? A 12 year old will get a good education but it is healthy??

The way you justified is like all those people who bribe to get the job done. "Hey, I am giving you the money, please sign my drivers license" Or even worse, justification by a woman. "Hey, I am being paid for my food and shelter, so why not I sell my body"

Please don't encourage such things. No matter what, its a child, like yours and mine and they SHOULD NOT WORK !!!