Making chapati's faster?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rums, May 5, 2011.

1. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rums,

How many chapthis do you make everyday?
    I used to buy it, now it doesn't agree with my DH's stomach. ( we are seniors). I hated to make it, but have started doing it. I use hot water and oil.

Someone long time back told me that if you do any work like hobby, then you will enjoy it. There wouldn't any pain. Think of your husband's smile when he eats your home made chapthis. Is it worth of all the pain. Yes. You wouldn't feel the pain at all after some time.

This lady told me that in a Zen Center, they taught that any job do it with a smile even cleaning the bathroom or kitchen stove. Try it. I do follow her advice.

Happy Making chapathis.
    CL.:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

2. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks CL. I love making chapati's. But my shoulder pain and time consumption was the only problem for me. I make a lot of them. I hate the idea of making it everyday. Nowadays I have started making it faster compared to last week. I have always prepared home food for my family. Even if I slack one day, It's worth looking at my hubby's face. That keeps me going!!!..

3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi rums

in my case, i make rotis daily for my lunch for my husband. somehow, i do it fast, got used to it.

one tip is i keep the tava (skillet) hot, and once when i start rolling chapatis, i keep puting one bye one on tava and i can finish fast that way.

Yes nothing can beat home made soft chappati anytime.

thanks for ur thread, i got tip of using hot water, for making chapati more soft. I used to knead dough with oil and normal water.

I generally knead dough fresh, if i keep it in fridge, somehow, i dont like it.

4. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks radsahana :)...Yes try Hot milk too. That will make it really soft and fluffy. But Hot water is the best. I make 2-3 chapati dough (out of which you can make 10-15 chapati's). Then I freeze it in ziploc/container. Whenever you want it the next time thaw it outside or in microwave. Then roll it. This saved a lot of time for me. Otherwise making the dough takes another 10 minutes.

5. LeisureTime

LeisureTime New IL'ite

Store dough in plastic cling wrap..give double wrap..it stays better than container. Do not use Canadian brand atta. Use Indian brands, for me AAshirvard and Annapurna works good. Quality changes with batch number..recently many Indian brands have weird texture and it lacks desi wheat aroma.

Best choice is to go for American wheat flour for consistent quality. Enhance dough by adding soy flour and flax seed meal. Result is delicious and 100% healthy.

Pack 10 roti in cling wrap and store in ziplock bag. You can freeze for few months. When you thaw and heat in microwave for just 15 seconds, you get perfect soft roti. Packing is very important to preserve softness of roti.

If you are able to make 20 roti in half an hour. You are expert.

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks Leisuretime. Will try using cling wrap. Thanks C .

7. shashwathi

shashwathi New IL'ite

I make the dough in large quantities by using warm water, sugar and salt -that way the dough will be like your bread dough and soft.
    If you find it hard to role may be because the dough is hard.There are now good chapathi presses in the market-oil it a little and press.works well for me
    When you freeze the dough wrap small quantities( amounts you will need for a meal) in a cling film so air is cut out and then put it in a micro wave storage.Keeps well for a week.And time saving too.anytime snack ready.
    When you take it out knead it well to get the carbon dioxide out

8. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Shashwathi,
    Thanks.Can you let me know the brand name?. I have been hunting for a chapati maker for a while now.

Thanks
    Rums

9. shameema

shameema Senior IL'ite

I do agree with chocolate. Mixing of Atta with hotwater is less stress work & gives soft home made chappatis. In the end, add some oil to make it even more soft. This way you can avoid applying oil & make "sukka rottis"" which can be eaten by cholestrol patients also.