Hi Keralites! - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by safa, Oct 28, 2006.

1. padma sankaran

padma sankaran New IL'ite

Hello there, this is Padma Sankaran from Kochi. I am basically a Bangalorean, lived in Nigeria for7 years , then Chennai and now in Kochi the last 20 years. A tamilian of Palghat origin. Have three children. running a play school in Kochi. interested in music, games, cooking, etc.
    Have fun.:):):):)
    padma sankaran

2. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

Hi Radhanair

Thanks .Hope you are doing fine .What Phd ur daughter is doing now ..

3. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

Hi Padma

Nice to see u here ... seems u travelled many parts...how was ur life there in Nigeria ..

4. padma sankaran

padma sankaran New IL'ite

Yes, I have traveled quite a bit. We enjoyed our stay in Nigeria. Thanks to the Group my husband was working in, they took very good care of its employees. Of course when I went there I hardly had any clue as to what that place would be like. I went there with my 3 month old daughter.

Topographically the place is just like Kerala with plenty of greenery. We were there in 1978 just after the oil boom in that country. Just like India, there was one lot who were very rich and many others who were very poor. the poor thought the easiest way to get rich was to rob the rich. Armed robbery. It was scarry. We became victims 6 times during the 7 years stay there. God was always with us, so we escaped physically but lost many belongings. We became very philosophical after these incidents and felt that what belonged to us or what God willed will truly remain with us. Our faith in God increased. The Police system was bad. The country was totally corrupted. The rates for bribing was open.
    You may wonder why I mentioned earlier that we enjoyed ourselves in spite of all this. Well its the friends and people around us there who made our stay there so lovely. The men were not pressurised at work as they are in India today. We used to get Sat. and Sun. off. when friends would get together, party at one place, have pot lucks ,music sessions, celebrate every small festival together in the most elaborate manner. It was a like living in a big joint family. The locals who worked for us as house maids, drivers and watch man were also very affectionate and very efficient. (I think I was lucky) I was running a Play school in Nigeria at home, we were provided huge accommodations by the company, where I had kids from all countries as students.
    I had made Nigeria my home as long as I lived there and had missed the place and the people after I came back to India. When we are away from home we get closer to friends and take every effort to follow our culture. Infact I started learning music after going there, and learnt a lot about Indian culture there.
    I hope my above account gives you a brief idea about our life there, this was in the period 1978 - 1985.
    take care and have fun
    Padma

5. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

Thanks ..so nice to read abt ur life there .. hope u really enjoyed .but I never had such feeling abt there
    Poorest place ... somaliya nigeria ..place of wars and exploitation ..amist there are ppl living in peace and happiness ya that tooo a life to live on earth .. ur great suffererd a lot there ...

6. suminanda

suminanda New IL'ite

hi all :welcome

i'm suminanda from trivandrum, our capital city.
    it's very nice to see so many ilites from kerala.
    regards and luv......................suminanda

7. siji

siji New IL'ite

Hi :hatsoff
    I am Siji, My native plae is Chottanikkara, (Oh...yeah...near the famous Devi Temple)
    in Ernakulam Dt. currently staying in Shanghai , China with my family,
    hoping to meet more 'Malayalees' here,

bye
    siji

8. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Siji,

Yes you can meet many malayalees here. Keep going through all the threads , like Idea starsinger, Vodafone Thakathimi etcand other threads in other forums too.

You'll enjoy being here. By the way howis your life there at China? Give us an account . will you?

Love
    Latha

9. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Re: Introducing myself as keralite

Dear Meera,

Welcome to IL. I am also in Chennai. Where in Chennai are you?
    I am at Pallavaram.

Love
    Latha

10. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Re: Introducing myself as keralite

Hi Bitika,

How long have you been in Chennai? I have been here from my birth.
    Love
    Latha