Can I get a job?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by soumyapr, May 7, 2011.

1. naanvetti

naanvetti Senior IL'ite

Soumya,
    Just my 2 cents.

One of my friends who was also a MA Eng lit, got a job in one of the top coaching centres who prepare students for TOEFL, CAT etc. If you wish to, you may try this option out. Since it was also a part time job, she had enough time for her family & other activities also.

2. PetiteFashionB

PetiteFashionB Senior IL'ite

Soumyapr -

I have same problems as yours but i have finally learnt something.
    First thing you need to learn:Live for yourself and consider yourself important.Keep reminding yourself about this that you need want this life and have to get out of it.

It likes when we are in love with a boy,, we ar eready to do anything for him, without caring what others, neighbours say.Think in the same way.You are in love with your life and you have to find a better way to live it.
    Listen to people (ofcourse they might be concerned or curious) but ignore personal - talk.Tell them you can not die if you don't have kids...okay.

3. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Thank you Dhaanika, that is very encouraging. I realize that I have to make a beginning and something will come up. Please tell me about the bank related jobs. The ones I know have age-limit for entrance exams. Are there any bank jobs in pvt. corporations for which you do not need specialized finance skills? Thanks.

Naanvetti, that is a nice suggestion, I will look for such jobs. In case you are in touch with your friend can you let me know some more info about it, like what kind of profile do these coaching look for in a candidate?

That is a nice analogy, reminded me of early days of my marriage. I will always remember this. Thanks for encouragement, I am getting busy looking for a job an finding out courses etc. and it is already helping me, I feel better thinking that I can do something. I hope I will start some job or classes soon.

4. PrabhaNiv

PrabhaNiv New IL'ite

Hi Soumyapr,

I am not really sure if this would help, But have you thought of medical transcription? They dont care if you have a thorough employment history or not and you also have flexible work hrs. One of my aunts took up medical transcription training and later started doing that work, she was about 35 plus when she started, she was never really employed till then and she still does that.. its been about 10 yrs or so.. Would it be possible to find out any med trasncription training agency near to wer u stay? I am very sure you will fit their basic criteria for enrollment, it needs just good listening and language skills. you could also google about "content writing" and check for some companies online. Dont pay money upfront in any case..

Once you are in a/any profession, you will be able to change to another stream without much difficulty as compared to starting from new. I would suggest try all the options and take up whatever comes up.

Wish you all the very best.

One more thing, whatever we do, or we dont do, the some people will always criticize. We are respectful intelligent women and shouldnt give a damn about all those. Just do not give a damn for all that.. Consider yourself more important, try to look good everyday, read the news daily(If you are not already) and keep yourself updated. that will give you more confidence and will shoot up your self esteem higher. I am writing this out of my personal experience.
    Put your priorities first, even if that is the simplest one, dont give a damn for those who try to hurt you, Just take a chill pill and relax.

Would like you hear you are doing very well sooner..

Tc.

5. abarnakrish

abarnakrish New IL'ite

Hi,
    You can try for online English tuitions, search tutor vista where they are paying you a good salary with flexible timings, one of my friend is working with them. Eat healthy, think better, think only about your family and don't bother about others, we will pray for all the good fortune.
    All the very best.
    With love,
    Abarnakrish

6. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Thank you Prabha and AbarnaKrish, I will look into these options.

Meanwhile, I applied for an executive assistant position some time back, this is an entry level position. A friend works in that place and he gave me recommendation when he learned that I am looking for job. I received a call for interview today for next week. Now I am not sure what kind of work is it, according to job description it is taking care of administrative duties etc. I am extremely nervous for the interview. My husband says no harm going for interview as it gives experience, but I m hoping to get the job and not going only for experience. I have been looking at possible interview questions, I am most frightened that they will ask me why I haven't worked anywhere for so long. Not sure what to say. My friend told me that his recommendation will get me interview but else I will have to manage on my own. I am very scared, what will happen, I am getting second thoughts whether I will be able to speak anything at all!

Thank you everyone for being so helpful to me, I feel better about myself, now I feel that there are so many things I can do, I only need to be more courageous.

7. naanvetti

naanvetti Senior IL'ite

No Sowmya,I am not in touch with her now. But this is what I remember - she worked with a training institute which train for CAT/GRE/TOEFL.You can probably google these centres.
    Also, she was training the students on vocabs/grammar in english.

8. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

All the best for the interview! I don't think you need to get too concerned about the lack of professional exp.You can just say that due to personal and health issues,you were not in a position to seek active employment.Now you are,so you are seeking gainful employment.
    If I come across any good oppurtunities or courses,will let you know.Take care!

9. rashmii

rashmii Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    Good to hear that you have got a interview call.

Prepare well,i feel even though you have no experience to show but if you have confidence that you will learn on the job and show this confidence to the interviewer i think you can easily get through.

ALL THE BEST!:thumbsup

10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Soumya,

Congratulations on landing the interview.

In our office, we have an executive assistant for our MD and another admin executive assitant. Our MD's admin executive is responsible for scheduling his meetings, preparing and proof-reading his speeches/announcements based on his inputs, coordinating his travel arrangements, etc.

Our admin executive assistant has to coordinate the travel and accommodation arrangements of the visitors/clients who are travelling to our office etc, crosscheck and process the payments of the contract employees, arrange team outings and other team building activities based on the request of the team managers, etc.

Hope this gives you an insight into what an executive assistant is expected to do.

Best of luck for your interview :thumbsup