1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. beerbal

beerbal Silver IL'ite

Don't know. Difficult to put it in words. May be I feel that she is disrespecting me or the marriage. Or that removing it is not a unilateral decision or that she likes to be seen as unmarried to others or is it that she likes to be seen as available? Or is it that she is giving me a hint that I am soon going to be history or is it nothing much but just a fashion thing?

It's definitely not a lib thing. Because she very traditional and unlib-ish in other things.

Finally I rationalize and I write it off as may be it doesn't go with her jewellery or that she has some peer pressure to show off as 'forward' among her lib-ish friends. Just like my teen age kids :) That keeps me sane and go about my life :)

2. Tanujam30

Tanujam30 Silver IL'ite

And What sir do you wear to "Respect" her & the marriage ? A piece of jewelry brings respect to the marriage ? to you ? :rotfl.

In all your assumptions as to why she doesnt wear the jewelry have you ever considered that it is probably just uncomfortable to wear ?

3. beerbal

beerbal Silver IL'ite

Wish she said that when we married. I would have loved a live in relationship :) Just kidding

About the 'uncomfortable' thing, she wears chains, (heavy diamond) necklaces and other jewellry. I don't think that's it.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Without knowing more about the dynamics of ur marriage it would be hard to comment but if it was just her not wearing Thali /mangalsutra when u guys go out for a party I would say dont let it get to u.Most likely it could be that her outfit or rest of her jewellery may not go well with the black beeds/heavy chain.That said...
    If I were you I would certainly intiate a conversation ...something along the lines of how u are sentimental about thali and see what she has to say.

5. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

BB looks like you are not wearing a ring, I would not talk about it, you cannot force her. None of the girls in our side wear it.

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

[Edited out - Irrelevant in this context]

7. beerbal

beerbal Silver IL'ite

oh wow!

I was just just sharing what I felt. I don't need advise and this is not a big issue I need help to troubleshoot either. I never said anything about forcing anyone.

I don't deal with it because I sure can let my wife have her way. This is a very silly thing to hurt her feelings about.

So, capisch?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  8. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

One souvenir and these much interpretations.. :D

1 person likes this.
  9. Ashisarchana

Ashisarchana Bronze IL'ite

Nice thread !!!

I'm still useing my thaali,kolusu, toe ring & single bangles in my hand.
    I also wear them with my western dresses.I use small design bindi when ever i wear salwar suits or sarees mostly in India (rare here).I also put sindoor(a very small line)regularly.
    No problem with me & my hubby:)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  10. karjothi

karjothi New IL'ite

Hi, very interesting. There is a purpose of wearing these ornaments. Due to my safety, I don wear mangalyam or any other gold jewelry. I wear metti, kolusu (without bells), bangle, and bindi. i stopped applying sindhoor due to recent read that the chemical content may harm the skin causing burn mark. And my aunt, after all these ages she developed a black burn mark on her forehead caused by sindhoor. So stopped applying it. I wear only 1 single thin bangle. very small bindi. a small pearl beads on my neck just to occupy my empty neck. i was wearing my mangalyam in yellow string for 8 months after wedding, but i won like it. I don like my appearance with the string alone, unless i wear a chain with it and a don like wearing many pieces on my neck also it always don stay properly at place when i wear it in yellow string. So i opted to gold chain (kodi) with mangalyam. then as recently change job that i need to park my car and walk few meters alone, i'm not wearing it. Safety is utmost important. I do wear when i'm out with hubby. I am thinking of getting black beads and hung my gold mangalyam in it. Hope that this beads wont capture the thief's eye that a gold mangalyam is with it.