1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Intelligence is in their Genes - Fed up with MIL's comments

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by blessed, May 10, 2011.

1. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am so happy and proud of my only DD who is excelling in academics & sports. She got 97% in her 9th grade and stood second in the school, her principal called me and my DH just to honor us and congratulated us for being a role model parents.

This summer she has been selected for state level swimming competition and even won the runner up for the club she represents and we were so happy since its been only 2 years she enrolled in swimming classes and within such a short period she won laurels for the club.

But I really had to struggle hard to make her reach this level, I personaly do all the droping and pick ups, I am behind her in every aspect and she is the kind where she is always in need of me & I enjoy doing this to her as she and her future is the most important thing in my life, my DH has no role in her up bringing and I dont blame him because of his work pressure he is hardly at home but ofcourse he is a doting dad and tries to spend maximum time in the week ends.

Now the actual point is, when people to come to our home to congratulate her, although my MIL is never bothered about her academics or anything for that matter will suddenly appear before the guests and tell them " She is like my daughters, the same genes has come to her, she has taken after her Dad, our whole family is intelligent,,,, this that....."
    Oh my God, this has become unbearable for me, even when some one is on phone, she will literaly snatch the phone from me and repeat the same stupid dialogue.

My DD is pretty tall, taller to me by 2 " but in looks she has taken after me, the moment any new person see's us they tell we resemble a lot, even for this my MIL bounces back and say " No she resemble her Atha's(aunty's) since they are very pretty.

This hurts me so much that I feel like fighting and arguing with her, but as it is she causes tension in the house for every silly reason and I dont want cause more pressure. I want my daughter to be in a peacefull atmosphere and thats the reason I avoid unneccessary arguments.

But some how I feel very insulting when they make me feel Iam good for nothing and My SIL's are the direct decendents from Heaven.

I want to put an end to this, but without any causing any tension at home.

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

blessed: I would say just ignore such people.

It is quite common for in-laws to say such things, in some cases it goes overboard.
    I can see where your frustration comes from, but I would suggest, please ignore this

Your DD is at a crucial stage in life and fights and tensions in family affect a lottt. Believe me, I have gone through such things. So, for such remarks, put up a fake smile and move on

Such comments are not worth bothering

3. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations for ur Daughter. Convey it to her
    Just ignore these. And just concentrate on ur daughter's future. Ur mil is jealous about u it seems literally even the persons or friends may see her behaviour awkward. Then y u worry about her.

4. puspita

puspita Silver IL'ite

Hi OP

First of all many many congrats for ur DD....I felt very happy for u...

Regarding MIL's comments...yes its better to ignore...she will tell like this coz she wants u to show down...but in school no1 is going to call ur SILs for ur DD's achievements..Always u will be called and appreciated...Every1 will praise the mom only...MIL will tell but no1 is going to listen these stupid things...

My MIL also like that...its hard to ignore, but we dont have any other options, coz this bad nature is in their Genes....:bonk

5. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Blessed,
    Congratulations for your daughter and you too for all the hard work, and prayers. My Mil used to say eventhough Mom does more than dad for the childs sucesss the society always gives credit to the dad saying He/She is so and so (father's name) son/daughter. But at the same time if the kid messes up the same society will say "Who is the mother of this he/she she has not instilled any good values in the child"
    So, dear blessed this society always talks what is convienent to them. Your MIL is one of them. Just ignore her comments. I am sure others who are listening to her must be laughing inside too.
    Until your daughter starts college these are the critical years in her life. Basically a turning point. These so called relatives who are wellwishers will be trying to create distraction for her and you just to get her off track. So, Just ignore and move on with the same focus you have had until now.
    Meanwhile never forget to pray.
    All the best to your daughter.

6. adismom

adismom Bronze IL'ite

Blessed,

Firstly congrats on your daughters achievements.Like others said, dont pay too much heed to what your MIL is saying.Its not like just because she is saying it,it becomes the truth or that people will believe her.I think everyone around will know that that is just nonsense talk and I am sure in their heart they know the truth.Confronting your MIL will only cause unnecessary tension .There is no guarentee that she will stop saying such things.So just hold your head high and continue doing the good work.:)

7. Jasminemarigold

Jasminemarigold New IL'ite

Congratulations goes to you for encouraging your daughter and being there when she turns around to look for her mum. That is the most important look you will treasure and appreciate as a mum.

Let your ML say what she wants, your daughter knows the truth and thats all that matters.

My husband side of the family have all the brains but that does not bother me because they have never ever made me feel inferior. I bring my own worth in this family of ours. My daughters have all gone to universities. Women should never feel inferior in this life, without us where would the men be, who is the one fitting in household chores, going to work and millon other things we do and take for granted.

In other words what I am saying is, your daughter is where she is now because you were behind her every step of the way, be proud of yourself and ignore whatever your ML says.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Blessed,

You are indeed blessed to have a daughter who is so brilliant and bringing you so much honour. Why, instead of being happy, are you now bothering yourself with a mother-in-law who sounds absolutely silly? Just ignore her for God's sake. What is her intellectual level? By trying to compete with her, you will only be bringing yourself down to her level.

Your daughter is an individual. She looks like herself. There will be some resemblance to you, some to her father's side of the family. The two cannot be mutually exclusive. Don''t you think this is too petty a matter to get upset about? If you want to change your mil and her behaviour at this age, it is not going to happen. And by her saying so, your daughter is not going to look more like her or her daughters, nor is she going to look more like you because you say so.

Remember one thing, your mil is not permanent and your daughter is going to be known as your daughter outside the house, not as your mil's granddaughter or her atthais' niece. So just leave all these silly matters aside and get on with life. Treat it as a non-issue.

9. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Congrats to your daughter and to you and your husband without whom this would not have been possible.

I just had a :biglaugh reading this and why don't you do the same.

If you want to put an end to this, then you really have to laugh it off at the insecurities of your MIL. You know the kind of efforts you are putting in to raise your daughter. Don't you think poeple around you would not notice it. They probably would be laughing at your MIL's comments too. So, learn to laugh it off. It's best for you.

10. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Blessed let me fist wish your DD for her achievements...
    Second dont bother about the comments from your MIL.....to whom she tells all these...to the people who know you and your family...so very well they know about your MIL and Sil's...even if they dont know them...no one will give importance to these type of comments....
    People have their own brain to think.... genes only not play the role without the effort taken by the person...just dont care about her comments...and dont take them to your mind.....