Insurance for pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by arth, Oct 16, 2008.

1. welcome

welcome New IL'ite

Hi,
    i am planning to move to morrisvile, can you please suggest any good apts?
    Thanks,
    WELCOME

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Medha,

I know it is too too late for a reply ! I am sooo sorry for the delay.
    We are on choiceplus. When called and checked about being covered for the visit to an RE, we were told we could. But that is 80 -20 .. Maternity was fully covered with a 500 deductible. So, literaly we didnt pay more than 500 till my 6 week post partum visit. I have no idea about Blue cross.

3. victory001

victory001 New IL'ite

hi ramyateju,
    Im now exactly at the same situation as yours.... it wud be very helpful if u share your experience...
    thank u

4. jennysrik

jennysrik Gold IL'ite

Pregnancy Insurance

Hi all!

I want an immediate advice. My health insurance expired on the month of February this year. I went to India for vacation at that time and returned only last month. For the past week, I have been looking for various insurance options. The recent development is that I found out that I'm pregnant(just today morning). Now, several insurance company are not ready to offer the insurance as they say finding out that I'm pregnant is a 'pre existing condition'. Can somebody let me know of companies that would cover all of my expenses?

I want to consult a doctor and so it's kind of urgent..pls help me!:drowning

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Re: Pregnancy Insurance

Your only hope is to either get a job that has insurance as a benefit OR get on your husband's insurance when the benefit opening comes. Why would an insurance take on a client normally when they are sure that there is going to be a big bill. Frankly, women in USA keep it secret until they can get on the insurance so it is not pre-existing. If you are too far along, also that will not work.

6. victory001

victory001 New IL'ite

Hi Jennysrik....
    even m on the same boat....
    But I have applied for Medicaid last week n keeping my finger crossed...hope they accept....
    If you find any othrway pls share it...it will be of great help...

7. jennysrik

jennysrik Gold IL'ite

Hi! good to hear that..

Actually, all this confusion arised cos my husband is a phd student at an university and so his school doesn't cover the insurance for me just like an office or a company. Hence, I had no other option available because of this sudden happening. Also, even if you had taken an insurance before conceiving, they have a time period..before that it is considered as pre existing condition.

And, regarding the medicaid..I am on a F2 status, I have the right to only live legally in US and I am not a citizen or applied for one. Though I did submit the application the previous day, I read it in their website, it is not possible to get insurance for my status. I haven'treceived a call yet.However, I applied for NCE - Advantage Individual 1000 insurance. They are the only people who give insurance with the amount of $1500-2000 paid from our pocket. But it is all only for normal delivery. Even the slightest complication would not result in a normal delivery and will definitely cost more. There is also a thought that only doctors do not wait and not make it a normal delivery. They are experienced mid wifes who handle well and see to that it is done normally. But for the cost of midwife, your insurance must cover it.

After all this confusion, me and my husband decided that I will take only my pre natal care here in the US..i.e. till the first trimester and go back to home, India for delivery. One is that I have my parents and relatives to help me out at large and second is that, both normal and cesarean have become normal and they handle all complications well in a good hospital.

Well! As said the insurance I have taken, is a limited insurance. Only that is available in the whole of tennessee. Check it whether it is there in San diego. I f you think you can handle the financial situation well, I think that's a good option. Check your status in the medicaid website and learn whether you will be given or not. What status are you in?

8. victory001

victory001 New IL'ite

Hi jennysrik,
    hope ur doing good...
    sorry for replying after looong time...
    I am on H4 visa n I dint qualify for Medicaid/Medical ....but thr was another plan AIM ( Access for Infants and Mothers) which is designed for families in the middle-income bracket who do not have health insurance and whose income is too high to qualify for no-cost, Medi-Cal.
    So I applied for it and got the approval...They charge $734 for the entire pregnancy ( includes pre-natal,delivery-vaginal,c-section or high risk pregnancy and post natal.) Plan will end after 60 days of delivery.
    Hope you You have Great pregnancy n may God bless u with beautiful n healthy baby :)