Will a company hire me if I am pregnant?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by mistrypooja, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mistrypooja

mistrypooja New IL'ite

I am working as a software engg in pune and am 2.5 months pregnant.

My husband got a good offer in mumbai (not soo good to support the family all alone) and has resigned from his prganization. I too have started looking for a job in Mumbai.
    But I am wondering if companies will hire me knowing that I am pregnant! Moreover My notice period is 3 months so by the time I join the new company i ll be 5 months pregnant.I do not have any offer in hand yet and have not resigned either.

Please suggest if anyone has had an experience with joining a new company while pregnant and if that will be a great hurdle in my way to get a job offer.

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pooja,

Though many companies dont say it out, they do not prefer to hire pregnant women. This is because by the time they join the company and get a grasp of the work, they go on a maternity leave. After they come back from the leave, they will require more flexibility than other employees. But this varies form company to company.

My suggestion would be: if your current company has flexible policies towards working new-moms, then continue in the same company. You get 3 months paid maternity leave. And you can also avail extended maternity leave, if your company has the policy. Avail your maternity benefits and resign after you have come back from your maternity leave.

-Lakshmi

3. amruta

amruta New IL'ite

Some companies do a medical check before joining. I had got an offer and i was just 1.5 months preg, but after their medical test , they said they cant go ahead with the offer.

Also dont you think that being in the same company will give you more comfort factor ? You must have been pretty much settled their , rite ?

4. shalsraaj

shalsraaj Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pooja,
    I was pregnant too when i joined the current employer. was 4 months pregnant.
    so it all depends on the employer

5. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I was 1.5 months pregnant when I joined a new company. I told the HR manager about it before joining, and they had no issues. It totally depends on the companies policies. To the best of my knowledge, most of the companies do not have a problem hiring.

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Legally no company can discriminate on that grounds, but again for obvious reasons, the company would come up with a suitable reason not to hire a pregnant woman

The best way in your situation is to work in the same company, avail the leave and see after delivery how it goes

7. chandannasta

chandannasta Silver IL'ite

In my company which is a call centre, mediclaim policy starts from day 1 and there are no restrictions as such that pregnant women cant join. You can join any call centre also in Mumbai and you will get maternity benefit and if your hubby also works in call centre then he is entitled to get paternity benefit also.

8. vidhss

vidhss New IL'ite

No, Most of the companies don't hire pregnant women for obvious reasons.