1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am a Tyagi, not by choice, of course!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Oh Radhi, thank God, I almost missed replying you! :-( In that case, I would not have forgiven mysef!!:bonk
    In his case, a slight pressure would have only increased his "muRukku"!!So, I just left things as they were!!
    Yes, you can never change non-curd eaters; the habit to eat curds, has to come from their own mind!!
    Thanks for coming here, without fail, Radhi!:)

2. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

:hatsoffChitra mami, (I have gone back and forth as to what to call you, decided against athai, and went for mami :))

I have read your posts, and have been blown over by your sense of humour. You have shown that 'behind every successful man, there is always a woman' ; only in a new light! I can sort of relate to it, having seen my mom and my mom-in-law do some of what you have mentioned.. Reading this, I have to say I want to raise my hat not only to you, but to two of the most beautiful women in my life!!

As you have rightly pointed out, there is so much to learn from people across all generations..

Mythili

3. Chitvish

Dear Mythili,
    Welcome to my thread!:)
    Just because you are an iyerponnu, don't make my thread a Tambram one!!
    Instead of calling me simply C, I wonder what made you :spin:spin:spin
    between Athai & Mami!!
    Now that you write about your MIL, you are no more just a ponnu, but an iyer mami as well!!
    I think, lafdies of my generation went about our lives on similar lines! We never wanted to change our husbands; BUT our love & devotion changed them over in many cases!! But, alas, not in mine! :-(
    No regrets!!
    Do stay tuned!!

sindmani likes this.
  4. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithu,
    Such an enjoyable post! This is true that many of us here though not to your level are ' tyagis' in some form or other! That sadly has become a way of life! Making a noise about it only worsens the situation , accept it gracefully and move on, that is the best thing to do!
    You are a forerunner in that!

5. Chitvish

Thanks for coming here, Janani.
    I wrote this post in a lighter vain only, as we say
    IdukkaN varngaal naguka!!
    They must be having more complaints about us, in all probability!!
    COMPROMISE - thy name is married life !

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

Another of your tongue in cheek post! :rotfl Thoroughly enjoyed reading and understanding what you mean by making the compromises or so called adjustments for the greater Aim of Salvaging/ saving the so called marriage institution!

After all if not for our thyagam, how do the better halves go on holding their head high as Karma Yogis in this world....ha ha.....:biglaugh

But when we all look around now, those of us who have really learnt the Art of adjusting and Living sanely WITH our Married Partners seem to have survived the worst part isn't it!??

Also we have learnt to grow together by being Apart and maintaining those Spaces which are really the most important aspect....what do you say? Of course the other half should give us the freedom to pursue our lives and accept it gracefully like we have done...then PEACE REIGNS!

Also i agree with CHEENIYA that you do have those other great qualities which he has mentioned for a tyagi , ........that too after i read about your newly married life adjustments! Where is it written that the girls get married and walk into a new alien set up and have to fully give up her Life before and jump into the new life as if she is a new born and for what purpose? This is the question topmost in the younger generation mind and thats why they find it easier to walk out than adjust! what do u think?

All in all a post though filled with your sense of humour ,it has a lot of thought provoking points which can guide the younger ones!:thumbsup

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chithra...
    your post is A1.... you are definitely a tyagi but as cheeniya sir puts it becoz of all your talents... but on the lighter side.. hats off to you and your immense devotion (couldn't find another appropriate word) to Vish sir .... amazing how women of your gen were so flexible...
    Vish sir is one lucky man...
    my hubby doesn't like watching movies or TV but I'm addicted to both ( not serials tho)... he can make do with whatever food is put before him as long as it fills his stomach and I'm a foodie....luckily for me my son takes after me... so I have company to see movies and food at home has to be near to gourmet!!!!....
    should try making bread at home... does t take too much time???... maybe weekends...
    Love
    Kerman

8. Chitvish

Dear Sudha,
    A very nice analysis, you have done!!
    Of course, we may be looking dumb in the eyes of a few of the present generation who like to maintain their individuality in a marriage at any cost like non-compromising.
    In fact our days were not the days of love marriage. We gradually learnt to love the person, we married - not at all an easy job!!
    I think our success lay in taking up the challenge & merging ourselves with the spouse in the married life without losing our individuality. This needs more tact than easily walking out!!

9. Chitvish

Dear Kerman,
    Hope you had a nice break!!
    Talents were developed to keep the mind & body occupied - don't think high of me. Far from it, but I apply myself to any job that I take up, thats' all!!
    Whatever one likes or other, the other learning to accept it is half the battle won!!

Bread making is quite simple!! Get fresh yeast, small amount from a supermarket like Nilgiris. If your muscle power is poor, electric beater or FP makes it simple!!
    Thanks for coming here!!:)

10. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

As usual I am late here. I read your thread late night a couple of days ago. Today being a holiday, could find time for `ILing'.

You call yourself a Tyagi. We (self and DD) want to call you dheiyvamey! We both were virtually doing :bowdown to you. 51 years of married life with the credit of having never been to a movie or a hotel. How was this possible aunty? Leave alone eating out. How could you be without seeing a movie in a theatre aunty? Atleast in later years there were inventions like VCDs, DVDs and now we see the downloaded versions. Cinemakku pogaama irukkara vairakyam is to be really saluted.

Probably this background of yours made Chitvish, the already sooper dooper cook to become the cookery queen and stun the whole IL world.

Really you are a great tyagi to be patient enough to cook even on days of family wedding. Whereas we would enjoy in our minds for the `no samayal day'. I wonder if I would be able to say proudly that I have read each and every recipe or sloka of yours in this janma for that is the extent of your contribution here.

Ennavendru solvathamma Chitvish unthan perumayay!