1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fights every day...Is there hope?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anonymous11, Apr 17, 2011.

1. anonymous11

anonymous11 New IL'ite

I have been married for 4 years now (no kids yet). My husband and I look like the perfect couple to all people, so caring and in love, yet we fight a lot. Its got to a point where it happens every single day now. Most often than not it the same few issues we keep fighting over and over again. Neither of us wants to change because the change expected is the core of our being. I feel we are good people but bring out the worst in each other.

To give some background about me, I grew up a spoilt kid. I have always gotten what I needed and most often its my way or the highway. I do have a very tough time making compromises. I am very insecure too so tend to get controlling at times. But in my defense, I feel a lot of this I have learnt from my mother. Not to blame her but I do feel that girls are a reflection of their mothers. My mom has several of my qualities. My dad has just given in but my husband wont. I have some good things in my too. I care a lot about people. For instance I care a lot about my parents in law. I care for them more than my own parents. I respect all his family member and they all like me a lot. I help people in need and go out of my way to make them feel better.
    He on the other day, although looks soft, is very opinionated. He never instigates a fight but when I instigate he can be really ugly. He always shows a lot of love towards me. But the moment I dont react to his liking all hell breaks loose in the house. I dont know how to be like him. I am not a lovey-dovey person. I am very practical. Sometimes because I am short tempered few things piss me off. I get okay very soon but he would have gone on a tangent by then. It then pisses me off even further.

I make very reasonable demands which I think are do-able. On the other hand his demands are so outrageous. For e.g. he thinks I watch too much TV and he wants me to give up some of my fav reality shows. I feel those shows help me forget my own troubles. I work and its gets very stress ful at work. TV relaxes me. Yet he wants me to give it up. On the other hand he is addicted to his laptop. He is glued to it 100% of the time. He will not give that up. I feel its unfair to ask me to give up my addiction when you are addicted to something yourself.
    There is another issue where he feels he does not get enough attention. He tells me I dont come to him when he calls me and I do this on purpose. I dont understand why I would do something like that on purpose! He does not seem to believe me when I tell him I am doing something important (lets say stirring something which is getting burnt) at that instant and cannot come running. Like these, most often than not I would have spoken something or done something which would have hurt him and I would not even be aware of it. It comes out in fights later in the day. How can I change something which I did not know I did in the first place!

I am just citing few examples but it has come to a point where I am on a verge of a nervous break down. Being so far from my friends and family I have lost a lot of confidence just hearing him speak all bad things about me and how terrible I am. When we fight he says some of the meanest things which hurt like crazy. You can never win in a fight with him. Every small detail, he observes and brings up in the fights of how I behaved and how I should have behaved. I act or do a lot of things to avoid him picking on it later in fights.
    We are two very different people. A lot of fights happen due to the different ways we have been brought up. His family is a patriarch family. His mom is very soft and has absolutely no say in the house. Mine is just the opposite. I am not used to men in my house controlling every little thing I do.
    Due to all this, intimacy between us has come to a complete halt in the last couple of years. His parents think we have medical problems but the fact is that we are just not close enough.

Well, all said and done, I am very confused about this whole thing. I can change here and there but to change my whole personality is very difficult and I am sure for him too. Does it make sense to separate or can things be worked out. I feel bad in that I think maybe he can get someone better and can lead a happier life. His parents are wonderful and I could not have asked for better but then how long can they know nothing of it.

I miss him when he is out of town but when he is back we are up to our usual routine in less than 1 hr. Its a classic case of "Cant live without you, Cant live with you". But I think the Cant live without you is just a need for any companion. I feel that if either of us gets some attention from someone else its only a matter of time that we slip.

Some times I think - Should I try for kid? Is that the void in our life and maybe because we have too much time on our hands we fight. But am scared as to what will happen if things don't change.

Any advise in the matter will be highly appreciated. Like I mentioned above I am confused and would like to avoid a divorce for its social implications.

2. samraa

samraa Bronze IL'ite

hello annymous,

you seemed to have picked up most of your attitude from your mum.do you think she was right all along? just see some reason -you can't have your way ,all the time.unfortunately,your spouse doe not seem to be like your dad [you might have expected someone like him] -but, that's the way life is,change your attitude first,he will eventually change his.all couple fight-that's definately not the END.

3. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

hello anonymous
    Life is not full bed of roses. thorns are there we have to pluck the roses without being pinched by the thorns. U can explain ur needs and thinkings to ur husband when ever ur close to him. he ll understand the soft lang. never try to implement something which we all ever like so try some honey coatd words that may work. leave the ego and all the life is so long to live ego can be broken in a minute when we think of our true love. These are my own experiences because i am a single child to my parents then see how i may be brought up. But when i got married the things were totally different. Only goal should to protect the relationship, breaking is simple. Take this advise if u dont mistake me have a baby it brings a lot of difference in life. two of ur views and ideas ll end up good in ur baby ok take care bye

4. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi
    First of all I would like to appreciate the way you have written the post . You have pointed out your negatives also, because in this forum advice can be given only on the way the OP has projected herself.

Also your answer lies within you only. You know your negative qualities. You HAVE to work on them. At the same time your husband also has to bring some changes. He cannot tell you not to watch T. V when he himself is in front of laptop .

You and your husband can have a calm chat about the whole issue and you can explain to him about your basic nature and that you need his help to overcome your shortcomings. Trust me , he will feel more wanted. Alos compromise is necessary for every marriage but from both the partners involved. But don't try on reiterating this fact to him. Slowly and surely he will understand it, when he sees some changes in you.
    You don't have to change your basic nature but a few shortcomings here and there.
    You both love each other , that is for sure. Don't seperate for this reason, it's really not worth it.
    After a couple of months when you see some changed in your relationship , you both can have a talk and try for a baby.

5. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    It's easy to consider about divorce, separation and what not when we feel totally lost and confused in our relationship. I would suggest you two to go on a vacation. Just the two of you. Don't think about work, family , daily chores etc....have a heart to heart conversation.

6. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

You think the changes expected are the core of what makes it you, but I'd also point out, that change is the way of life. You're never the same person you were a couple years ago, is it really that hard to change if its going to make or break your marriage?

I'm thinking part of your resistance to change comes just because it is something demanded of you, and your my way or highway attitude just rears its head when you try to do change and give in for him. Step out of yourself for a bit, and just do it. Stop keeping score with your husband (as insane as this advise sounds), try it... that might be your only chance.

You can choose to be what you want to be every single day. To your immense credit, you seem to know the precise problems, if you want some advise, here it is: please stop defending what you think are your shortcomings, and just get to work on it. You seem like an intelligent person, you need to however give yourself a swift kick in the butt, and get to work on yourself. I'm saying get to work on yourself, because really, in a relationship, you can only change yourself, and lead by example, not expect change to come in via nagging or fighting.

He's probably doing that just to spite you. That's kinda his way of controlling what happens next. Can you do something else to relax? Why does he hate you watching TV? Does he feel ignored or want more "together time"? Can you come to a compromise of "x-hours of unwinding TV time for me" and then that's it?

Get him a little puppy :rotfl!

Seriously, he needs to grow up. Whatever does that mean? Can't he come to you when he needs to?!

Can't you try being a little more sensitive and keep note of things that set him off? I mean it can't be that difficult? Ideally, he'd just tell you if something pissed you off and let it be, but since we're not talking ideal here, to keep the peace, you're going to have to keep note of what did piss him off the last time, and just make an effort to be a little more sensitive to things that probably set him off. Once he sees you making an effort, or once he's calmer, tell him how hard you're trying, and if he's sensible, he will appreciate the effort and hopefully things will get back on track.

That's really mean of him. Why do you not have any friends close to where you are? It takes its toll when you're entirely focused on the spouse with no other outlets like friends and family... that must be hard!

About separating, its really your call. Its your life, but reading your post, I just think these aren't insurmountable differences if you resolve to put your togetherness at the top of everything else. Maybe you guys need to give yourself a couple months, go all out, and try to make things work. Do this with all honesty to yourself and each other without getting caught up in keeping score or the egoistic stuff in the past or anything else. See if counseling will help. If things still don't work, maybe its time to find your own happiness?

NO NO NO NO and a big NO. Kids aren't meant to fill voids in our lives. Please don't even venture down that lane unless you have a rock stable relationship.

You both seem like good people, but just tend to push all the wrong buttons for each other. The funny thing is, you both seem to know precisely what to do to drive the other up the wall, and I am not quite sure why you are doing that knowingly. I wish you harmony and peace.

7. SproutsOfSpring

SproutsOfSpring New IL'ite

That sounds like a very bittersweet relationship. To answer your question- YES, I think there is hope because, even after the bumpy ride, you still feel he is a good person and that you miss him when he is away (how cute!). It sounds like you guys are having a tough time transitioning from singledom to marriage-hood (yes, MARRIAGE-HOOD!). And things have not changed even into fourth year because that's how you started and never gave it rest (and have gotten so used to it that, now, neither of you know any better). Both of you just want to continue doing the same things that you did before marriage - in utter disregard to the other. It sounds like both of you are very individualistic people* and trying to work your way thru marriage with this individualistic attitude*. Marriage is not an individualistic institution and will not survive with the kind of outlook on life that you have. You need to nurture it. You may stay married to each other, but you will always have this void (which you're already experiencing) and will be left feeling very unfulfilled.

For now I suggest, keep doing the things that both of you do to bring instant gratification to fill the void in your lives (TV/laptop), but if you are really serious about making things better, you might gradually want to start taking some baby steps:

ok, first things first- you need to come to terms with the fact that you're MARRIED (for 4 years already!). A lot of people have a hard time finding a decent spouse -so it's 'bout time for both of you to wake up and SMELL THE ACHAR.

[​IMG]

I suggest you buy gifts for each other, if you don't already. You said you're a practical person who finds it hard to be lovey-dovey. If you're finding it hard to say I-love-you or even harder to give him a hug, then you should buy him a card that does the job on your behalf:

[​IMG]

In the blank you could just fill in- I love you more than I love the TV. Buy him an IPAD. He will be dumbfounded and might eventually give up his laptop addiction.

Make new friends where you live. I am sure your hubby knows a few guys who are married. You both could have them over, and see how they interact with eachother. We know this really bubblicious couple who laugh at the drop of the hat and incessantly pick on each other (all in good fun). It's good to around such people and be PURPOSELY influenced by them.

Indeed. You guys need some real challenges in your life -like raising a kid. umm, so get busy? In the meantime, to stop him from misconstruing things you're doing/saying, you should purposely misconstrue things he says or does too and maybe throw a tantrum and have a Britney Spears-type-meltdown (in your bedroom, ofcourse). One day it will just click. Also, theres something about a desperately helpless and vulnerable women - men are attracted to them and like to help them. Make him feel like you are a needy person, completely dependant on him. But in your heart, stay the headstrong woman you like to be- in front of him just pretend that you are not -- kinda like talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. Work his personality to your advantage. He seems like a sensitive person and will surely be taken in by you. I'm sorry if my advice sounds unethical, but as long as there is no crime being committed and you're not backstabbing your husband, it's all good. Desperate times call for desperate measures :queen

I do not see your current situation as being hopeless. I don't think you need to think about divorce yet. If, however, you do go down that route and find someone new, keep in mind that, knowing how you are you will most likely find yourself in a similar situation again. There is no guarantee that your new spouse will be head-over-heels for you.

I apologize if your eyes hurt after reading this post. I should probably just have said Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle [FONT=times new roman,serif]and called it a day.[/FONT]

*please don't take it personally.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Kids wont solve problems....rather their responsibility might overwhelm such rocking relationship like yours and might even break the marriage or whatever is left b/w you and your husband...

Also when youa re pregnant you need lots of support, love and caring and no abuse...but if you/your husband cant let go and forgive and forget things and bring up every fight and make things more uglier..whats the point in wanting to get pregnant?? it would be more emotionally break you down rather than make you feel any better....

Most important thing you and your husband has to do is...go to marriage counsellor or therapist..learn what you like both and what you dont like in each o ther and work towards coexisting and sharing and loving each other as who each of you are....just like you he might have picked those habits of getting or dragging fights to nasty ugly battles..

so better talk to him and suggest going for marital therapy so that this wont break either of you down.

If you want to know what may happen if you still live like this and end up having a kid??? read through several such threads as to how husbands behave or what wife goes through after having a kid in a bad marriage.

9. Radhikarao

Radhikarao New IL'ite

Hi anonymous,
    i agree with srividya,pls dont think of kids as a bridge between both of you.Or to that they will make you occupied so that you will have less fights.Raising kids is a ver responsible job...and at the same time requires lot of strength.(Both emotionally and physically)And stressful too.When you are sure to have a strong bond between you go for kids otherwise pls wait until you resolve the issues.Dont involove kids in already complicated relationship.

10. anonymous11

anonymous11 New IL'ite

Thank you all for your responses. If you allow me I want to add few more details. Trust me I dont like my personal life out in the open but I need help. I need to know what majority women think. If majority think I am wrong then I guess I AM wrong.

SpoutsOfSpring - you are right in that we are very individualistic strong headed people. Well I have always been like that, he - not so much. What is interesting is that his mom tells me he is a very short tempered person. I never believed her because he was so soft when I met him 4 years ago. I married him because of that. He was funny and he made me laugh. He would run around me and I could be how I want. But now I am seeing a new side of him. He says I have made him like that. Trying to change me through love did not work, so now he is resorting to being like how he is now.

To give further background about us, ours is a love marriage. I am older than him by 1.5 years. When we met he was head over heels in love with me. I felt wonderful and took the marriage plunge. But as time went by I guess he stopped liking the way I am. Please note that I havent changed for the worse from when we started. In my mind (since he is younger) I tend to take him for granted. Its not like he did not know how I was before. Yet he chose to be with me. Now I am not so fancy to him anymore. I know that most of you will take his side and believe that anyone would lose interest if I did not show love back. What I dont understand is how can you fall head over heels over somebody because of they are independent and now the same quality is driving you up the wall? Is it my fault? Anyways, I have started changing for the better (atleast i believe so), I am seeing that I was wrong, but he does not believe it because of the history. In his mind its fixed that I dont care about him. The good things I do dont get noticed. The wrong things get picked. History has etched a permanent mark in his head. How can I prove to him I am different now? I know, you will say, keep going and one day he will realize but its not happening. I am losing patience and it is getting worse.

Leaving the ego is sooo difficult because I feel its so unfair. I work as hard as him, I earn as much and we are on par in everything. Why then I have to change? Why not him. Luckily for him he already has many of the good qualities and habits so there is not much change required. I just ask that he accept me how I am.

List of things he wants me to change
    1. Be positive
    2. be happy always
    3. Stop watching so much TV
    4. Stop nagging --see notes below
    5. Turn or speak immedietely as soon as he addresses me
    6. run around him. Give lots of attention
    6. Keep wardrobe in the right co-ordination (pants together, shirts togeter etc)
    8. brush every night (yes, to that detail)

I am capricorn. I am pessimistic by nature. The glass is always half empty for me. I like to be left to myself. Yet he cannot understand that. He is an optimist and wants me to be like him.

About nagging, he is bad in finances. I look after all the finances. Where I come from this is a man's job. I look after the house hold chores too. Yes he helps me but only when I nag him to. He washes vessels once a while and cites that example as to how he is helpful he is. I wash *everyday*. It gets to you sometimes. I wish he would be responsible enough to do some of the chores without me nagging him to do it. I can ask for help once, but if even after repeated reminders it does not get done then I get angry. Who likes to nag?

He can survive on love alone. He is a person who if given love will do everything without complaining. I am not like that. In his house his mom never complains of the amount of work. She gives them all the love without expecting anything in return. He wants the same from me. This is ideal I know but how many people are like that?
    All that he expects, I guess, may seem to very easy to most people but its difficult. I feel like there are so many restrictions. I dont like it at all

I dont want to lose him. I cant think of being with someone else. But is this fair? Is this life?