1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Dear m2B
    Thank you for sharing about Jillian's videos. Im a great fan of circuit training as well. I was doing that 2 years ago before my 2nd pregnancy.
    But there are few constraints in taking up an intensive workout like circuit training - LIke both are C sections, am still nursing my son, cook early in the morning, travel 5 hours a day to and from office.
    So not able to go to GYM. Thats why thought of taking up a lighter exercise like walking that wont be too hard on me.

2. DivyaSivakumar

DivyaSivakumar New IL'ite

Hi Shiva and Annu,

The word hummus sounds new to me.Will you please explain me what it is in brief so that i can also enjoy with it's benefits....

Cheers............
    DivyaSivakumar:)

3. m2b

m2b New IL'ite

HI divya

Hummus is a meditteranean dish.. predominantly turkish, arabic ..... made traditionally with Chickpeas or chole the white ones. just soak them in water overnight, drain and cook in a pressure cooker with lots of water till really mushy doesnt need to be in shape too. the basic recipe of hummus is very simple and one can make as many variations as one can imagine.

Basic Hummus recipe

1 Cup raw chickpeas
    1/4 cup tahini (dont worry its just our roasted til seeds in a paste form) i just grind it into paste with water
    2 garlic cloves( this is how much you can take it... more or less)
    2 tbsp of lemon juice (this tooo is as per taste pref.. I use more)
    optional is green chillies/thai red chillies/jalapenos/habanero.... (written in increasing heat elements... I use habanero.... which is really very spicy)

Just blend everythign in the mixie like a chutney the thick variety of chutney..(if you are a southindian then like thogayal ) Use as little water as possible, use the water in with chole has been cooked.... and lemon juice

after blending add Salt as per taste and pls dont forget to add olive oil.. the best possible you can get... abt 2 tbsp ... I know its more but the good fats are better... and the flavor is addictive. Preferably prepare this at night and let the flavors mingle before you use it. I make one weeks worth ... put them in 2 cup boxes and freeze it...we consume a lot so gets over soon. If you are tryign for first time, then you can also try with tinned chickpeas/garbanzo beans.

Its very very easy and very very high in fiber and protein. A very good substitute for any spreads over bread.

Variations I have already given,and finally its ones own taste... use and create your own variations.

Have fun... am sure you will like it.. make it spicy cos that appeals to indian taste buds and try using fresh chillies visa vis dry chillies or powder.. the taste isnt as good...

Take care
    Annu

4. m2b

m2b New IL'ite

I totally agree shirsha... Its difficult after csection deliveries. I too have had 2 csection deliveries... and didnt have any help after delivery or even during pregnancy. Maybe thats the reason I am so much overweight and have decided now to lose some!!!

And if you are into downloading, pls go to bitsnoop.com , type leslie sansone in search , and you will get loads of videos of hers that you can download. I love leslie sansone and do it every day at least 2 to 3 miles. somedays I even do 5 miles .... but rare. Cos now am pairing it with Jillian Michaels.. do 3 miles only.

For variety and change I would suggest get other downloads too...read abt them on Amazon.com and know whats the diff between the ones you hve and the new ones. I have abt 8 videos of hers which I love... best is walk your belly flat and 5k with a twist. I love both these.... 5 fat burning miles is great.... but cant do that everyday.

I am into downloading but didnt know if I can suggest such a thing on this forum... well if its not allowed.. the moderator can take down this post..

Take care
    Annu

5. DivyaSivakumar

Hai Shiva,

Please Clarify these doubts:

1)Even i'm doing 50m cardio ,i'm not sweating a lot.I observed only a little wetness on my face after 30m treadmill.What might be the reason Shiva?

2)I used to work on the same equipment(treadmill) in the gym right from the beginning.
    For half an hour working on treadmill it shows the calories burnt were 116.Yesterday i worked on another piece ,for my surprise it showed 160 calories for the same time period. Why is it so Shiva.

3)As i'm having a weighing scale in India,no thought of buying another here.So how to monitor my weight.Is it OK to check it after going to India i.e,on next month ending.

Cheers..........

6. DivyaSivakumar

Dear Annu,

Thanks for giving such a good recipe.I'll definitely try it and update you dear.

Between when you are going to share your lunch tips.Eagerly waiting for them......

Cheers...............

7. m2b

m2b New IL'ite

hi divya,

Most weekdays lunches are soup and a salad wrap with hummus offcourse.... or else multi grain roti and subzi with salad and yoghurt. I have substituted dalia in place of rice.. more so Bulgur.. which is processed diffrent than dalia (broken wheat or lapsi). I find it more filling when we eat bulgur.. we all ... my two kids n hubby n me eat bulgur... and 2 days in a week rice. So its mostly roti/wholegrain bread/bulgur for carbs in the day or in the evening.

Weekends we generally eat very light dinner upma, khichdi, mix veggie bulgur, or even mix vegetable rice noodles, dosas made with barley+rice combo. Weekends we hae heavy brunch bfast.. a hot indian bfast with a fruit smoothie.... kids n hubby love paranthas so every weekend a diff one... stuffings are tofu+cauliflower, potato+feta cheese, low fat paneer+peas, carrot paratha, dal paratha, You can see basically we make loads of parathas with less than half tsp oil for brushing... the tip i follow is mix oil with some water and use a basting brush to just brush lightly. I take 2 tbsp of oil in a bowl so that I know how much I have used up ...

Dinner is once a week whole grain pasta with veggies and crusty bread. Here in germany we get fantabulous sourdough breads which are wholegrain so dont trble myself in preparing those. We have once a week just chunky soup with sourdough bread. olther days its normal indian dinners.. mostly roti but if no time then its bulgur .. very rarely rice. I use Sona masoori rice cos its totally starchless... not one grain of rice sticks to my spoon... doesnt feel heavy even after eating ... Basmati I keep only for biryanis

WE eat out on saturdays.. esp lunch but that too I go for salad based meals... mean more of salads and less of fattening stuff.

I am a south indian but prefer to eat more of north indian food... having been brought up in mumbai love my marathi n gujju food... and occassionaly tamilian food...

After moving here to germany ... its become total international food... but still indian food is what we eat mostly at home.

Hope this helps...
    Annu

8. Mona Gupta

Mona Gupta Senior IL'ite

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Dear shiva,
    Hi thanks first of all, you are doing a great job, Baba Sai bless you

I walk fast on 4,5 i sweat after 20 min and all but i m wet but not covered with sweat
    I eat normally at 3 hours gap, sometime at evening specially when my husband watch tv and eat something. Thats the toughest time form e to control me.

Hope it will be better, i started now in the evening lots of water .
    Thanks
    Best regards

9. cool2010

cool2010 New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

Recently I made a recipe that is new to me. This is called Ragi (finger millet) Mudda (Ragi Sankati). Very healthy and traditional old recipe that we have forgotten in this new era.

Nutritive value of Ragi per 100 g
    <dl><dd>Protein 7.3 g</dd><dd>Fat 1.3 g</dd><dd>Carbohydrate 72 g</dd><dd>Minerals 2.7 g</dd><dd>Calcium 344 mg</dd><dd>Fibre 3.6 g</dd><dd>Energy 328 kCal</dd><dd>
    </dd></dl> Recipe:
    1 cup of ragi flour
    Fistful of cooked rice
    pinch of salt
    1 1/2 cups of water
    1 teaspoon of ghee

This is as simple as making upma. Take the water in to the vessel with 1 spoon of ragi powder. This helps to limit the formation of lumps. Let it comes to boil. Add salt, boiled rice and ghee (optional). Then add the cup of ragi flour slowly to the boiling water. Wait till boiling water covers the ragi powder and then keep stirring with a wooden spoon to avoid lumps. Switch off the flame and transfer the ragi mudda to a plate. Make small balls with it (can use water to wet your hand to handle the heat).
    You can see this recipe on youtube also.

This really goes well with sambar, peanut chutney or kurma. Look at the the calcium and other nutritional facts....awesome. Very healthy for kids too. You can add jaggery, milk and nuts to make it rich for kids.
    I tried and it came out well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  10. DivyaSivakumar

Dear Annu,

Thanks for sharing the stuff that worked for you.Surely i too 'll follow them.

Good Annu your DH also likes it. So no separate cooking for you.My hubby he won't like all these and he is a rice lover. So i have to cook for him separate.

Between how long you have been in this diet and what is your progress in weight loss dear.

Cheers...............