Methi Leaf Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by babycorn, Apr 6, 2011.

1. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Thanks slk.This is a good idea

thanks meetumeetu:)

methi malai mutter seems to be interesting too!

thanks milkshake:thumbsup

2. reddysp

reddysp New IL'ite

I just wanted to share my thoughts on Methi. My mom used to tell me to never chop/cut methi leaves. If you do so, that results in the bitterness. So, just pluck out the leaves , wash and use them. I always do the same thing and never had the bitterness . Also, I use Methi in recipes like Aloo fry, Aloo tomato curry or just tomato curry. But the best recipe I had till now is the Carrot Methi Chutney. It can be had with hot rice, chapathis or dosas. The texture won't be like other chutneys but more like shredded carrot fry. Try it and I'm sure you will like it...

3. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

thanks reddysp for the tip.I did not chop it too.I will try your tips this time:bowdown

4. reddysp

reddysp New IL'ite

Not a problem ..Just one more thing I forgot to mention. Fry methi with little oil before using it any recipe . That way, it will remove the rawness of the leaves and tastes better..Its my mom's tip again:)

5. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

hi,

As our friend Reddy has said even i just pluck the leasves wash and use with tual dal ,in which i add tomato and litttle tamarind juice,it tastes yummy.
    i grind methi leaves,spinach with chilli and salt and add to chicken as well.
    dry methi leaves i add to paneer dishes.

6. Praga

Praga New IL'ite

Hi,

even i find frying the leaves a better option. Wash and dry the leaves prior to cooking. And I never add the leaves along with dal. I add them while giving tadka.

In oil, add mustard, cumin, methi seeds, green chillies, ginger pieces and then the dry leaves also.
    Fry until a nice aroma comes.
    Then add tomato and fry for some time
    Then finally add the cooked dal to it. Boil it for few minutes. This was dal comes very tasty.

Also I like keeping kasoori methi for all dishes. Wash the leaves (no stems), and dry them completely. Keep them in a newspaper or towel, indoor for 3 or 4 days, until becomes very dry. If you crush, it should become pieces. Store this and you can add this to any dish at the end. It brings nice aroma and taste of methi leaves.

7. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Thanks yenetishashi and Praga.I got so many new ideas and inputs to mask the bitterness.Thanks again:bowdown

8. skanum

skanum New IL'ite

Methi leaves are very good healthwise.
    Use it in sabji----aloo ,methi ,palak ,egg plant(baigan )tomatoes.use all in small quantities.(drumstick (optional)
    In a pan add oil add jeera --chopped onion --ginger garlic paste--cut green chillies and tomatoes -fry a little and now add all veggies with haldi and salt --red chilly powder is optional cover with a lid .when cooked garnish with chopped green coriander.This curry is good for rice or rotis.You dont taste the bitterness of methi leaves .

9. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Thanks skanum.Its a good tip.