1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Part Time Jobs during weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Lily, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Lily

Lily New IL'ite

Hi,

I am not sure if I am posting in the right forum.
    I am currently working on H1 in US.I work monday-friday as a IT consultant.
    During weekends I get so bored because I stay alone.
    I would like to do some part time jobs.Any job at stores.I love books ..so I was thinking of looking out some kind of jobs at some book store ....
    Is it legal to work in stores etc on H1 ? Where can I get more details ?

If anybody knows any details ...pls let me know.

2. Madhurima

Madhurima New IL'ite

Hi,
    This is Madhu,just be careful in selecting the jobs, it has to be something relate to the job you requested in H1 application and also salary requirments, taxes and other things are comes up,through legalpoint of View just be careful.If you have any questions through legal side, just write to as attroney who practise Immigration i can tell fromlwgal point, pm me.
    Thanks,
    Madhu

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  3. soccermom

soccermom New IL'ite

Sorry lily but most of the legal discussion forums I have visited seem to say that the H1 job visa is for a particular company and you will not be taking away an American citizens job that's why you're getting a visa sponsored by specific company for a job that only you can do for which US citizen is not available - hence you cant work with any other employer except H1 sponsor. There's planty of volunteer work you can do to keep busy tho....just google volunteer and your city's name & you might find some good weekend options plus you might meet some people & you give back to the community...
    Cheers:cheers

4. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Lily,
    On your H1 u r authorized to work only 40 hr / week. Also if want to do part time in stores or something like that those ppl should also sponsor your H1 since on your current H1 you can work only for the employeer who sponsors your H1.
    But if want to do some volunteer work without any pay like in a local library or something that fine.
    -Priya