Save electricity

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Poem, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Poem

Poem Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    Electricity is one of the resource which now became essential for everyone's life.I heard that many of the low scale industries, farmers,etc., are facing huge problem because of the electricity scarcity.
    I need to place a view here that, many of us are wasting electricity like leaving the TV switched on when no one is wathing it(matters even if it is for few seconds) and many more.
    Why don't we discuss on these so that we can be aware of, the places where we are wasting it and can help the people who are in need of it.

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Tata Power :: Environment :: Energy Conservation :: Power Saving Tips
    Tips on Power Saving
    http://www.mercindia.org.in/pdf/TIPS_ON_ENERGY_SAVING.pdf
    Induction cook tops have an efficiency of more than 93% compared to electric stoves. The electronics of induction stove draws only the power actually delivered to the vessel, which means that if a smaller vessel is used, less power is consumed.
    Conserving cooking gas also saves electricity, though at the gas plant. Likewise conserving water.
    Arunadhri

1 person likes this.
  3. Poem

Poem Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Arunadhri for your valuable tips and suggestions!
    We can follow these valuable power consuming tips and that would be a great help for our people.

4. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Fair point/post.

I unplug any electronics I am not using since the appliance uses electricity even when switched off. I switch off lights in rooms I am not in. DH and I are saving up to buy the effecient water heater that can be turned off and on for use.

We don't turn on AC during the summer and instead use pedestal fans...Before DS was born, we used to use the fireplace for heating up the house and turn on heater minimally. Now, with him being a toddler - we have stopped doing that since he is so curious and may try to get too close to the fireplace.

Any other suggestions welcome.

5. Poem

Poem Bronze IL'ite

I have one more suggestion:
    I am working all day with computer. When I was going for lunch, a small break, meetings,etc., I use to switch off the monitor.
    I can see lot of my collegues leaving the monitor switched on... Now I started telling them in person to switch off.
    So, people who are using the computer while locking the user, it is just a matter of pressing a single button i.e., the monitor button to switch off it. This will not affect any work and this will be great contribution towards power saving.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  6. Poem

Poem Bronze IL'ite

Nice suggestions DNM! Here after I will unplug any elecctronics that I was not using. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

7. shivsharan

shivsharan Guest

Yes Dear really energy saving is a burning issue of every country,in coming years the energy problem will be the biggest problem of the world.Untill the every individual will not be aware to the method of alternate energy solutions and energy saving method ,this problem will continue to grown up. I have personaly planned to put CFL and LED lights at my home....:spin

8. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Electricity is a very precious element and if we do not learn to conserve it, we are asking for trouble for our ownselves,

In our family, we all have a habit of swtiching off lights, fans, or any appliance when not in use. Even in the middle of a meal, if any one of us has forgotten to switch off something or even if the tap has not been closed properly, we get up in between and rectify our mistake,

Sometime back, we noticed a habit of the Western people. My Dh's company boardroom was on the same floor as our residence. These goras would walk into the Boardroom and switch on the ACs full blast. Later on, they would just leave them on and vanish and return the next day morning to the chilled room. Oh my God....we would go red with anger to see such wastage and many a times, would swicth off the ACs ourselves.

But yes, energy, be it electricity or any other form should not be wasted. Very useful thread dear