1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Agree, but I'm way too complex a personality JAG (not that you dont know that :crazy). I sometimes set myself to achieve specifics, and sometimes I dont set myself any specific things. Its a complex mix. I sometimes function better with goals, and sometimes I function worse with set goals. So, goals are not a clear winner with me.

Paakalaam, right now, my goal is to mix up a bit more mild jogging within my exercise routine (I do have a routine, but based on this thread, I'll try to mix it up some more).

But a very inspiring thread, so kudos to you. :cheers

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hey JAG, good links. Thanks for sharing. I did have a quick question for you. i necessarily donot warm up as much before as I do after. That said, i do practise yoga on alternate days for an hour atleast - should that be enough? Because of the new challenge I have taken up at gym, i might start some yoga everyday now :)

BTW, DH successfully did a half marathon today :)

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Rama if I understand u right..u are cooling down but not warming up.
    Yoga on alternate days is fantastic ..great way to mix it up ....yoga and running .
    However warm up before any run is very important. Stretch ur calf muscles,neck ,back and ankles. I know its tempting to just tie ur laces and hit the road but the risk of injury is very high . (I do that sometimes :crazybut I try hard these days not to) U have to warm up each time .Its even more imp since ur are in the cold weather. One more thing..do you run first thing in the morning or a bit later say afternoon. I run first thing in the morning on most days so my muscles are still pretty stiff. So not warming up is not an option /On weekends sometimes I run in the afternoon and my muscles are pretty warm after all the chores and running behind the kids.
    But I personally feel the 5 -10 min of warm up is super imp.

Wow ! Thats awesome! He must be sore :) Can I ask u how long he took..? Did he do this as a part of a race or just as a part of training...I love these organized races ..the whole race is festive with thousands of people and so much cheering from the crowd. (And the snacks they hand out after the race! :mrgreen:)

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thanks JAG, I will remember to warm up! Yes, I meant i don't warm up, but stretch out a lot after the run. I usually now run in the evenings or late mornings, twice/thrice a week - I am not able to come up with a schedule for this. Early mornings are alternatively dedicated to yoga and spinning without fail! I cannot change that or rather don't want to :)

My DH took about 11mins/mile. It was an organized race and he ran to see how well he is ready for the full marathon in May. You bet, the atmosphere is very festive and it poured cats and dogs as well but there were people - partcipants as well as supporters. I believe there were around 18,000 people running the race. He was super excited afterwards - all credit goes to him except for the support part from me :hide:

Thanks for the tips JAG, truly appreciate it!

5. justanothergirl

No running is easy..supporting a spouse who runs is hard . Its impossible if u cant get support at home ...:hatsoff to u (and ur DH ofCourse! ) :2thumbsup:
    Ps..11min mile is just awesome for a halfM...:banana

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. justanothergirl

Complex u are..no denying that ..but whatever works Spidey..but hope to see u in person in the next Boston Marathon hahahaha(I am a very persistant woman ):biglaugh

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

spidey *faints*

you are :) Thats good :thumbsup

8. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I am totally blind and lost here folks. Excercize for me for the past 2 years has been doing the dishes, laundry, cooking and taking DS to gymboree. I am not a runner. I don't jog. I used to do pilates and yoga - its been 5 years. I used to do elyptical - its been 2 years since I did that every day.

Jag - Sorry! Being fit is on my list of things to do but not high on priority. It should I know but getting nuf sleep is the biggie for me. I could do with inspiration here, I guess.

9. contented

contented Senior IL'ite

Hi JAG,

This is the first time I am interacting with you, but I keep reading your advise/ posts on the Relationship Forum and I really admire you for your sensible, and practical attitude.

Anyway moving on to this thread. I never run, even on a treadmill. I normally just walk at 3 or maximum 3.5 without any inclination. I have tried running, but I get breathless very very fast. How did you build your stamina?

I also want to ask a very silly question. Please dont laugh at me :hide: . Now that the weather is getting good, I would love to run outside. The problem is I want to keep my keys/ mobile phone/id and a bottle of water with me. I always carry these with me to the gym, but I can just keep it on the treadmill. However, it gets very hard to run outside holding all these. So what do you normally do?

I also read that you were advising someone to do warming up exercises before running. Can you please tell me what kind of warming exercises I should follow -can I just follow the tips given in the Women's heart foundation link that you posted earlier? And after we run, do we need to do any stretching exercises too?

Thanks

10. justanothergirl

DNM...Nice to see u ma in this thread .As a mom myself I know where u are coming from. Its hard to get that 30 min out of the day ..but more than looking at it as a way to get fit I used to look at it as a time for myself. No work,no spouse and no little ones either.It was just me and sneakers.
    I needed to get out. Running channelized my energy . I went thru mild post-partum depression . Didn't know it then but looking back now I realize thats what it was. Running helped me a lot to deal with it. Pilates and yoga are awesome. Please continue to do whatever works for you.
    If u can take DS out for walk on a stroller that a great start . There are jogging strollers out there ..I can recommend a couple based on exp. Let me know when u are ready to take that step...WE CAN DO IT!