1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do I make my MIL happy ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by priyanaveen8889, Mar 10, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

you said she does not like you. she is never satisfied with you. she does not like your husband either. he even talks of separation. if even your husband feels this way, there must be some good reason for it. but you do not have to feel guilty for going and living separately. you have not asked him to do so. this has been his choice. so just go along with his decision. living under separate roofs does not mean you are deserting them or that you cannot help/look after them.

living separately can give both of you your space to live according to your choice and your mil can live the way she wants. everyone needs space. there is no point living under one roof and bickering all the time. better to keep an arm's distance and have a decent relationship. "familiarity has bred contempt". now "let distance make the heart grow fonder".

remember, there are many dils who would give an arm and a leg to be allowed to have their own establishment. if you continue to live under the same roof, and this situation continues, there is always a risk that it would start to undermine your own relationship with your dh. that relationship should be more important to you at this point than any other. so count your blessings that your dh is with you and don't worry unnecessarily.

2. vidyarp

vidyarp Bronze IL'ite

what a funny question!!!

"How to make MIL happy?" is the same as asking "How do i get the sun to rise from the west?"

Not happening sister....

3. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

yes, given the MIL of yours and her nature of screaming at her own son all the time.. I dont think you should take any effort in impressing her.. please remember - "no one can make another person happy if they choose not to be.." instead, focus on your husband.. if he wants to move out, I think he means it girl.. it is because he needs to see some happy days instead of getting screamed at all the time.. he needs to be treated with some basic respect.. he has an abusive parent and so he wants to move out to get some peace in his day to day life.. remember a man coming home from work does not need to get such negative vibes day in and day out.. nor a DIL like you (who wants to keep the family together) living under the same roof deserves that treatment for no mistake of yours.. it all has to do with the that one person - your MIL.. give your DH a better life girl.. so please oblige to your DH the next time he mentions of moving out and if at all your want stay at a house 2 streets away or well far from her. but do not force your DH to stay back there with MIL and take the crap.. it is very depressing to live with such tantrum making person. PLEASE REALISE it before your DH starts becoming what your MIL is already. move out with DH and give him some peace and happiness. if at all you think you have to help out your MIL, visit her everyday from YOUR house.