Migrating from UK, need help about work and education in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Indians in New Zealand' started by mouli_7, Nov 1, 2007.

1. praba1979

praba1979 New IL'ite

hi swetha,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have lot of questions(please help me by giving me some advise,we will keep in touch so that you can give me your advice one at a time .......please........i hope i am not bugging you) Actually I am in a dilemma (whether to move to NZ or to Australia).............well as an introduction about myself..........

I am from Tamil Nadu, India. Presently I am working in IT in India. I have an experience of 10 years in the software industry. I recently came back to India from USA, after working there for almost 8 years in the IT sector. Recently, I applied for the permenant residence in NZ through the points based skilled migrant category. I want to find a job in NZ even before I get my permenant residence in NZ, because that will give me more points in my permenant residence processing(if i have a job offer in NZ).

1.Please let me know the source that (like an consultancy) that would help me to get me a job offer in NZ.
    2. Did you have a job offer before moving to NZ (did you have points for a job offer in NZ)
    3. Did you straight away get the <ACRONYM title="Page Ranking">PR</ACRONYM> or the work -to-residence visa first?

I would really appreciate your response.

Waiting for your reply

Thanks
    Praba

2. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Sorry for the delayed reply, I tried to gather info regarding u're queries unfortunatley, don't know anything abt you have asked, as I don't work..........

1. one thing is yes we have got PR straight away, as my husband got the job first before applying for visa....we moved frm England he applied for the job first.
    2. He's a doctor, so don't know anybody frm IT field....
    3. Though i heard if you got any friends here whose already established in IT sector, they can forward your resume to their seniors........
    4. seek.co.nz, trademe.co.nz, q jumpers are the websites i know off.​
    cheers
    shwetha

3. praba1979

praba1979 New IL'ite

thank you so much shwetha

could you plz tell me
    1.if i dont have a job offer (that is if i dont claim any points in my PR application process) will i be offered the work-to-resident visa or i will i be offered the PR i have 130 points..........what is the trend?
    2.do you know anybody who got their PR with out a job offer

4. jive

jive Junior IL'ite

Hi Prabha,

I live in Auckland. Getting a job in IT sector depends on what technology you/your partner works in. ERP, COBOL, DW has high scope. There are heaps of people already here for development and testing. After the recession, it is quite tough here to get a job or work visa from companies. I am seeing many Indians/Srilankans sitting here with a worried work visa expiry and waiting for a job. Not to scare you but thats reality after the recession. It is quite a small market unlike Uk/US. There are many Indians/chinese/English people migrating here and there are just few jobs in the market. Getting a PR without a job offer will slow down the migration process definitely. And as someone else has mentioned in the thread, applying from Delhi will take a long time to process. Do not go through any migration consultants!! It is costlier and not necessary too. Australia is a bigger market compared to NZ and many people leave to AUS after getting a passport from NZ but it all depends completely on every family.
    Good luck with your PR:)

Cheers

5. praba1979

praba1979 New IL'ite

thanks for your reply

can u plz tell me

1.if i dont have a job offer (that is if i dont claim any points in my <ACRONYM title="Page Ranking">PR</ACRONYM> application process) will i be offered the work-to-resident visa or i will i be offered the <ACRONYM title="Page Ranking">PR</ACRONYM> i have 130 points..........what is the trend?
    2.do you know anybody who got their <ACRONYM title="Page Ranking">PR</ACRONYM> with out a job offer

waiting for your reply

6. lotus99

lotus99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Prabha,

If you dont have a job offer, you will be given work to residence visa.
    I had 145 points and was given Work to residence visa since I didnt have job offer.

I used AbsoluteIT to help me get a job after I landed here (I contacted them a week before I left India though). Mind you, things are different now as jive pointed out. Not many jobs available at the moment. Do check out seek website.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Vidya

7. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Hi Prabha,
    As all rightly pointed, job market is very slim compared to any other countries,
    NZ Immigration website has got useful info as well as online help.....try tht out abt your PR......
    Same for Homepage :: Career Services as they too got online help, they can individual handle all your career queries as well immigration, very helpful.......
    Hope this helps!
    shwetha