Second baby after first Cesarean

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Brinda1, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends, I had my first baby through an emergency Cesarean operation. The post-operative recovery went well. I now want to have a second baby. I had a few questions.

a) How soon after the birth of my first baby can I think of conceiving?
    b) Is it necessary that the second baby will be born through Cesarean as well?

Thanks,

2. alsu

alsu Bronze IL'ite

hi brinda...

my both deliveries r c.sections...

wen my 1st kid was 1.10 i conceived. 2nd was a c section coz i had pain in the 1st c.section stich in th 9th month coz the tummy was expanding.. doctor said the stich might rupture and become a serious prob. so v will operate..

there is no rule tht this much gap shud b there between 2kids..

i feel if 1st is a c section 2nd would most probably be a c.section only. coz the stich would be there always.. so whenevr u concieve ur tummy would expand and create the pain.. this is not the only condition for 2nd to be a c.section..

nothing is for sure in pregnancy and delivery.. so its ur decision only..

All the best...

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Brinda...
    few of my relatives had first as C-sec and hence 2nd too as C-section..could be reasons and few 1st normal-2nd C-section

but according to me,it is very much essential to wait till the inner wound of C-section heals properly...it might take 2 years too..because a family friend of ours had some issues with her stitches after 2 years of delivery(c-sec)..:-(

Few others say "if you have got a C-sec for the first one due to emergencies like fetal distress but not because of uterus issues,there are chances that the 2nd one could be normal"...but in india basically this is right now not so common...for many its kind of default ...1st C-sec,2nd by default would be C-sec..

as Alamelu pointed out,nothing is for sure in pregnancy and delievery...

4. FirSrk

FirSrk Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I have 2 children by c-section. I conceived when the elder one was 1yr 10months. I tried delivering normally, but could not due to some problems.(my stitches were fine and had healed well thou)
    I have many relatives and friends who have had a normal delivery after c-section. Doctors usually advise 2-3 years gap.

5. vinjoshi

vinjoshi New IL'ite

hi brinda,
    I'm 2nd time pregnant. my 1st was C section. my kid is 2.5 yr old. I was also thinking on same questions, after all search i got that minimum 2/3 yr gap should be there. and 2nd delivery is not surely C section unless there are major and unavoidable reasons. your doc. ( in 1st preg.) will surely tell that what was the reason for C section and will tell you chances of C section for next also.
    Even there are some cases on which they have C section for 2nd and had normal delivery for 1st. so everything is depend on that situation.
    Go head and all the best!

6. Radhikarao

Radhikarao New IL'ite

Hi Brinda,
    I had my 2 kids from csection.first c-section was in India,the doc said the reason was fluctuating bp.second was in us..i was asked what was my interest.Normal delivery is possible after first c-section but as others have said depending on what was the reason for earlier c-section.
    I wanted to opt for normal,but it so happened that my baby's head was very big and doctor advised me to opt for c-section in the last week.

but i can tell you onething for sure...my recovery was good and fast after my second delivery than the first.if the csection is in us i think the facilities are wonderful.

7. jes

jes New IL'ite

Hi,
    well if you have had a c-section then you should wait at least for 3 yrs before you plan for another one..as the wound takes some time to heal...it was an advice given to me by a nurse in the hospital...
    And yes you can definitely have a normal birth after c-sec,as my cousin gave normal birth for her second and third child ,her first child she had through c-sec...there was a gap of 4yrs before she gave birth to her second child and she is also in US...I guess its always better to take the opinion of your gynaec,as only they can give you the best advice

8. vaish78

vaish78 Gold IL'ite

I had my first baby in march 2008 and 2nd couple of days ago,both by c-sections.
    My doc advised to go for c-sec 2nd time also to avoid stress on the mom and baby,where as my friend had VBAC within 1 1/2 years of having first baby.She said it was easier the second time.

So it depends on your gynec and also other factors like the reason for c-section during first delivery and the gap should be minimum 2 years..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  9. rjayanthi1804

rjayanthi1804 New IL'ite

hi,

I av got two kids, both c section... the elder one is a daughter who is 6 while the younger one is a son just 3 mths old.. whn i went to the gynaec for the second one she told me tht the second delivery wud be again a c section only... though the first one was a c section becos the baby was already full term and over due date and i had no signs of pain..and i av almpst 5 years diff between the two

i had pains for the second one but the doc did not wait for the full pain and went ahead with the c section...
    so as someone said earlier nothing is sure... it happens as it has to happen...

10. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

unless a specific medical reason compels you to have only c-section you can always have a VBAC. in India and US(mainly privatised medical care) c-section is the most opted for one since it makes it easier to play safe for the docs.. VBACs are very common, so find out the reason for your first C-section and ask around with differnt gynecs what options you have for a second normal delivery.
    In india after the due date its usually C-section, in many european countries there is still a waiting period of upto 2 weeks to see if labour proceeds normally and C-section is opted as a last option just becuase labour hasnt proceeded as planned..

good luck .. read upon VBACs