Poonal: Thread Ceremony : Printing invitation cards

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by anuani2202, May 2, 2010.

1. anuani2202

anuani2202 New IL'ite

Dears,
    we are preforming thread ceremony for our son, we are north arcade brahmins belonging to barthvajam kothram and the initial preparation are almost done/Ok. Now we are to print invitation cards for the same and this is were i am a big fix.

Is it a custom to put the paternal and maternal grand fathers details in the invitation ?
    My MIL and FIL are dead against in putting my fathers details in the card , while my parents insist that this is the custom and it has to be followed. My son happens to be the only grandchild for both of the sides. every time i try to do something for him , it always ends with me crying as I cannot talk and convince my in-laws nor my parents. I do understand that they also want the best for their grandchild but in this race...the soul purpose of the whole function is lost.

kindly provide me your valid suggestion so that i put my foot down and speak once for all .. (at least make an attempt :drowning)

regards

anu

2. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Hi Anu,
    I just was looking for invitation cards and came across your thread. We are in the process of designing the invitation cards and our vadhyar has asked us to put both grandparents in the invitation card. good luck convincing your ils. One thing to do is talk to the vadhyar and have him suggest the same,
    Aparna

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

anuani

I don't know if this differs from which place you belong to, but I am a Tanjavur Iyer married to a Palakkad Iyer and in both my wedding invite and my SIL's wedding invite(she is a Palakkad Iyer) we had both our grandfathers' names.

As far as I have have seen marriage invitations, it is custom to put both the grandfathers' names as "X- in Pouthran um Y- in Douhitran um enadhu kumaran aana abcd ku....", but I am not sure if it is any different for Poonal Kalyanams!

I found this when I just googled for "Upanayanam Invitations" in images. Hope this helps.

slide0003_image005.png (image)

I don't really understand what the big deal is if both thatha's names are mentioned in the invitation, whether it is custom or not. I think you should just do what you feel like doing! I think you should clearly mention to your husband that you would like to have your father's name too and let him convince his parents.

All the best and wish the little boy all happiness in his embarking into Brahmacharyam!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. lalithajai

lalithajai New IL'ite

dears all,

am attaching herewith my BIL's (kozhundanar's) son dear gokul (a) kailashnath's poonal invitation to you all.

this (iyer) invitation has been compiled, drafted, edited, redesigned by my hubby - covering details of both the grandparents and all nears & dears.

am sure this invitation would receive everyone's attention and would be a model for reference. feel free to throw your remarks/comments and appreciation, if any, on my hubby's work (he proof-read and re-read to avoid any mistake/error). u may mail to my id too.

anbudan
    lalithajai

Attached Files: