1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Tampons: Safety of use

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by VasanthiSathish, Jan 14, 2009.

1. smileypooja

smileypooja Senior IL'ite

Dear Anusuya,

It was very kind of you to write up on the tampons..i just heard about them before but did not have much knowledge about it...Thanks :thumbsupagain for throwing some light on this topic dear...

Gooday...:)

Love..
    pooja.

2. sunitasethia

sunitasethia New IL'ite

thanks Ansuya for all the information.

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Pooja, Sunitasethia

You're very welcome - if there's anything else on your mind regarding this topic, let me know and I'll be glad to help if I can :)

4. sujathas

sujathas New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya,
    I fully agree with the information you had given as I have been using tampons for more than a year now.. But I have a question. Can even girls who have just attained puberty also start using tampons from beginning or is it not safe for them...

5. Mayoura

Mayoura New IL'ite

Hey Ansuya,

Thnx for all the friendly, 'enlightening' :bowdown info you shared with all of us here.
    As you said tampon use is not too common ( as far as my knowledge ) in India here.
    I for one am definitely curious about the use of tampons. However, my limited experience about using tampons is not too comfortable. No doubt I found it to be very discreet and fitting very snugly - with no slipping around or the messy feeling of a wriggly pad.
    But what I found to be uncomfortable and a bit painful is the initial insertion.
    Though it fitted very comfortably later, It gave me enuf burning sensation while applying it at the right place to make me think over going for its use regularly.
    Am still very curious about going for it. What I would like to know is that I have heard that you can use an applicator which comes along with the tampons and that it makes the job pretty easy and fast.
    Can Ansuya / anyone share their insight on this ?

6. bittenkitten

bittenkitten Senior IL'ite

Sujathas - yes, younger girls who have just attained puberty can use tampons as well, as all hymens have an opening (else they wouldn't be able to menstruate properly). In about 2% of teens, the opening is too small for the smallest size of tampon to go through, in which case a GYN should be consulted, as such a small opening can lead to other issues such as retained menstrual blood. Do use the smallest size of tampon you can find for the first time.

Mayura - I haven't shopped for tampons in India for almost a decade, but back then none of them came with applicators. My mother continued to use them, but I hated doing so, because like you, it irritated me and was a bit painful. Oh, and I could feel them because I wasn't pushing it up far enough! If applicators are available now, please, please PLEASE use them: it'll be so much easier and comfortable for you. Otherwise, you can try using a dab of KY Jelly or other water-based lubricant just on the tip of the tampon, and then push it in as far as it can possibly go: only the first inch or so of the vagina has sensory nerve endings, so you shouldn't feel it after that.
    Good luck!

7. Mayoura

Mayoura New IL'ite

Hi kitten,

Thnx for ur nice advice. Have tried ky jelly but it wasn't a completely smooth operation. Have even tried applying oil, vaseline ( pet jelly ) !!!:hide: Does anyone tried using any jel or oil or have any more lubrication to suggest ? Maybe the tampon size is an issue as you mentioned, but we have a limited option available here :rant
    Having said that, am not too sure that you get tampons with applicator - already in Pune. Can someone suggest me where I cud get these in around Pune ?
    Thnx once again

8. nehakhetal

nehakhetal Bronze IL'ite

Tampon <hr style="color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#FFFFFF" size="1"> Any one know about Tampon its use, how to use, indication, contraindication, whr to purchase, good tampon avilable in india , its price etc. Plz let me know abt it.
    NEHA.

9. HildaSpencer

HildaSpencer New IL'ite

Yes, tampons are safe to use but they only are good for women's who are not virgins.