1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

activities for kids at home other than studies

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by lekhas, Feb 28, 2011.

1. lekhas

lekhas New IL'ite

hi friends,

unfortunately the apartment we are staying have lot of big kids and veryfew kids in age group 6yrs ,so my daughter is not having friends to play .the bigger kids are very bossy with her and hurted her verbally many times . i talked with them and they will be nice for few days and again back to the beginning.
    so planning to keep daughter at home.

please share activities other than colouring that can be done at home on a daily basis, so that she enjoys staying at home

2. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

hmmmm try teaching her dance or singing...
    And please dont keep her away from other kids...she will be growing in fear...she should be able to stand up for herself and they have to learn it from small age itself.
    pls correct me if i am wrong ...just a suggestion

thanks

3. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Hi,How old is your daughter? If she is going to school she can pretty well be occupied with school activities. Take her shopping.When my son is at home during holidays I take him out on walks on the pretext of buying things. Take her to parks,temples etc.See if there are any kids of her age in the neighbourhood.(Flats excluding yours). If thesenior children do not want her company,ignore them. They might say or do something that might upset her,if they are bullying her.Choose good friends for her even if they are older or younger. A stressful atmosphere might not be good for tender minds. Let her learn good things from gentle people.GK

4. lekhas

lekhas New IL'ite

friends,
    thankyou both for giving me suggestions.she is 6 yrs old
    after school also so much time left.,she is after me asking what to do

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lekha,

I remember posting one in another thread 2 years back..not able to recollect where. the kid was 4/5 year old and what to do during vacations and free time..just use a search function and i am sure you can find it out.infact that thread had lots of easy and fun things to do.

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

You can take her to a local library, it will make her develop the habit of reading books which is a good hobby in itself

7. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

As Shanti suggested, there are lot of activities posted in the thread.

But you have to address the actual problem here. If she is being verbally hurt by other people, ask he to stand up for herself. Teach her how to deal with verbal abuse. Not only in your apartment, but she might face it in school also. So better equip her for the same.

One more suggestion is, not all kids might be the bullying type. So encourage her to mingle with kids who can just play with her and not tease or taunt her. Else she will feel all alone with no one to play.

-Lakshmi

8. lekhas

lekhas New IL'ite

hi everyone,
    thankyou i will defenitely check the threads.

once i talk to them they feel why she told me and they avoid her and tell other kids also not to play with her.

9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Bringing parents into this definitely complicates things. Other kids might be afraid that you might complain to their parents.

In play lot of things happen, fighting, having fun, etc. Many kids would not like to know or get involved in this. Thats why they avoid playing with her.

-Lakshmi

10. lekhas

lekhas New IL'ite

hi lakshmi,
    i am not justifying that i did right , i am open to change myself if i did wrong.

as scolding her happened i thought let my daughter deal with it,but when it happened many times i started worrying it will affect her mentally as she started coming home crying i just talked with the older kids.as far as i know the smaller kids are scared of older ones and so they are listening and believing them.