1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

To those who use Over-the-counter medicines

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anukv, Feb 23, 2011.

1. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

I got this thru email from my Husband.
    Please do read till the end.

Hi Everyone
    I am passing this email forwarded to me this morning. It's about a medication that is familiar to many of us. Note also the FDA 's comments at the end of the message.
    I received this information from a friend whose mother recently passed away.

Apparently, this was caused by a medication that is deadly. Here are the details and I suggest you pass it on to your loved ones and others.

Subject: Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)

I would like to thank those of you who expressed condolences on the recent passing of my mother. She suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while she was driving home from my house at 7:30 and passed away at 8:30. My mother's stroke and passing was an enormous shock to my family because she did not have any symptoms or risk factors for a stroke. Just the week before she had gone to her doctor for a check up and received a clean bill of health. She did, however, develop a cold while she was visiting me and had taken Alka Seltzer Cold Plus for 3 days. Since her passing, we have learned t hat Alka Seltzer is one of the many cold medicines that contains Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) which can cause hemorrhagic stokes or cerebral bleeding even with the first use. I am forwarding a list of other medications that currently use PPA. These medicines are supposedly being recalled but my mother just purchased this medication less than two weeks ago. Pharmaceutical companies
    have known about this danger for years, we unfortunately, did not.

I urge you to review the list of medicines with PPA and avoid these medications. All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are dangerous. You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire about a REFUND. Please read this CAREFULLY. Also, please pass this on to everyone you know. STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient. It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain) among women ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use of medication. Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative medicine.

The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine:

Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant
    Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements
    Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
    Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
    Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (cherry or or ange)
    Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
    Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent
    Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine
    Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent
    Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine
    BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
    BC Sinus Cold Powder
    Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief
    Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
    Contac 12 Hour Caplets
    Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus
    Dexatrim Caffeine Free
    Dexatrim Extended Duration
    Dexatrim Gelcaps
    Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
    Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets
    Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels
    Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir
    Dimetapp Elixir
    Dimetapp 4 Hour Liquid Gels
    Dimetapp 4 Hour Tablets
    Dimetapp 12 Hour Extentabs Tablets
    Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
    Permathene Mega-16
    Robitussin CF
    Tavist-D 12 Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal Congestion
    Triaminic DM Cough Rel! ief
    Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head
    Triaminic Syrup ! ! Cold & amp;am p; Allergy
    Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough

I just found out and called the 800# on the container for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children:

Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)
    3D Cold & Cough Berry
    3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a refund. If you know of anyone else with small children,

PLEASE PASS THIS ON. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!

DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are informed. They can then pass it along to their families.

To confirm these findings please take time to check the following:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa
    <http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa>

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

3. sreekulu

sreekulu New IL'ite

4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for sharing the alert Anu!

I was under the impression that medicines here are tested thoroughly through rigorous trials under the supervision of FDA and not approved to be available in the market until they pass through all the stringent tests. Looks like in spite of all the protocols, many do come into the market and make us all lab rats to be experimented with :hide:

5. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite