No inclination to chant prayers

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Gayathri Krishn, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Hi,I am a religious person with lots of faith in God. I pray to God fervently,I tell him all my troubles,I cry in front of this picture when in sorrow,I Beg,Beseech and Bow.I laugh with him,scold him.But when it comes to chanting prayers I feel so lazy. I say prayers for a few days and then leave it off. I am not able to concentrate and feel so lazy.In a dream Sai Baba pointed to my sister and said,'Very Spiritual' (She is,believe me).Then he pointed to me and said, 'Aircraft in a thunderstorm.' (guess that he meant to say that I was vacillating and could never be spiritually inclined.)Even last week I started Bala Tripurasundari chanting(1008 for 21 days). I did it for five days and today I brought it down to 500. Tomorrow I don';t think I will do that too.Sometimes I feel guilty. Should I really chant slokas or will earnest prayers alone do?Gayathri

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Is God so limited that only chanted organized slokas will reach That?
    The best prayers are silent ones.

Arunadhri

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

"The best prayers are silent ones". Well said Arunadhri :thumbsup
    My humble thought, in a silent prayer, we only ask for what we need, things revolve around "I want, I need, I am happy, I am sad, my life etc'. Silent prayers are mostly centered around "us". However, by chanting shlokas and songs specially composed for praising Gods and Goddesses, we go out of the "I" circle and concentrate on the supreme being, which not only helps us get close and understand the supreme being(to an extent atleast) but also feel the optimism, confidence and courage. Shlokas and hymns are another way of showing our reverence, thanks and how much we adore the supreme force without expecting anything in return.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Not quite.
    Almost every sloka has a Phalasruti at the end, which actually says,'OK. I have said this. Now in return this x-y-z will accrue to me'.

Arjuna used to be proud of being a great Krishna Bhaktha. Once Krishna showed him a vision of devagana's in heaven struggling to remove mountains of nirmalyam (flowers after use in pooja) and grumbling. Arjuna asked who the devotee was that used such huge offerings. Krishna said it was Bhima's manasika pooja causing this problem.

It is just a tale. However, the bottom line is that it is important to be in tune with the Infinite and maintain equanimity.

Arunadhri

5. madhuriarepogu

madhuriarepogu Junior IL'ite

Hi Gayathri,

God is great ,He knows when to make you to sit for praising them, but my only suggestion is dont try to chat some thing without concentration . Take only one single mantra like ,,, " Om Iem hreem shreem sri mathra namaha " this you will see as first sentence of lalitha sahasranamam .

Whatever work you do daily cooking, washing, watching tv, recite this mantra for some days. Just light deepa daily before god praying to give steady nature. Believe me you can do japa for hours together after few days. All the best.

My words are not to hurt, way for possiablity.
    :cheers
    Thanks & Regards,
    Madhuri.A

6. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Thank you Madhuri,I will surely try that.GK

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Sir

Very well said and thank you for the info abt Bhima's Mansika Pooja. :cheers

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Gayathri, I waned to avoid coming to this thread, but now feel compelled to share my thoughts.
    I fully agree with Arunadri Sir that the best prayers are the silent ones.
    What I write here is purely my personal thoughts - you are welcome to disagree with me.
    Chanting mantras, going to temples are all MEANT TO INSTILL SELF-DISCIPLINE IN INDIVIDUALS.
    It is not as though God demands our prayers or visit to temple. But doing all these help us to have control over our daily routine, make us feel less lethargic, improve our concentration and positive thoughts.May be we do it in the beginning 'only for the sake of doing' - but over time we feel that if we do not chant prayers, we are missing out on something. God does not ask you why we did'nt chant on any particular day!
    Do we feel lazy to have a meal one full day because we eat every day? No, our system demands it!
    Your thoughts will decrease vascillating which means your concentration is increasing.
    Manasika puja is very good - but it is possible only for a highly evolved person with very good concentration. Not for mere mortals like us!!
    There is no guilt involved - don't worry. But remember you get into a better routine by being more organised & motivated.

We have not reached the ultimate stage when we can shout from our roof-top
    AHAM BRAHMASMI.

I strongly believe in the quote:

The heights by great men reached and kept,
    Were not attained by sudden flight.
    But they, while their companions slept,
    Were toiling upward in the night.

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitramma

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts with us and the excellent quote:)

10. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

nice explanation Chitramma