1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

are you aware of what happens in preschool?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by dheepu81, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I left my 3 year old son at school at 8:25 am, i get a call from school at 9 am stating, your child fell down and got hurt, please come and pick him up......i got scared.........and rushed to school..........

i was asked to wait at the office room(they said the childs teacher is brining him) after 5 - 10 mins, my childs teacher brings him, i see a wound on his forehead, 1 inch open (a vertical slit, spread apart resembling a fish mouth)

i asked the teacher what happened, and consoled the crying kid.........she said, "he left his bag down and ran into the classroom and fell down on the floor, there was a table nearby, maybe he fell on it........when i asked him he didnt know how he fell".

then the teacher turned to my kid and said "this is why i telll u dont run" she handed over a big icecube wrapped in a towel. she asked me to take the child to the hospital and take rest at home for a couple of days.

another teacher was kind enough to ask if i can take the child to the hospital or they should take .......i replied still not come out of shock.....no i can handle.....thankyou for asking

i took the child to a hospital and put stiches on the forehead..............its almost a week back..........now my kid is good........

one thing was clear, the teacher was scared tht i'll complain to the management and was talking on a safe route.....when she brought my son she was accompanied by 3 teachers...........but though i was tense, i didnt ask her anything more....

later my son was crying profusely to go to school.......i some how pacified him and sent him to school.........

i jus want to share this with all fellow parents.........and my doubt is....how do we inculcate school safety into our children?

all suggestions are welcome

dheepa

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi dheepa,

Hope your little one is doing well now.
    I can understand how much of a shock it would have been for you that time. I might have cried myself that time.

Thank you for sharing this.

Are you in India or where did this happen?

I am not fully aware, but generally here all the pre schools and the creche have a regulation of the places being baby proofed well to avoid sharp edges etc..

I dont mean to say my son did not get hurt at all. He has got a few bruising here and there, but god's grace nothing major.

3. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

ptamil,

yes i stay in chennai, and my DS goes to a top rated CBSE school, still such things to happen.

thank god my son is doing good.

dheepa

4. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Hi,Things like this happen in almost allchools and in all classes. When my son was in playschool,there was a biter in his class.ONe day my son came home and said that this boy called 'Balapranesh' bit him on his chest. When I removed his shirt I saw deep bit marks.The biter is many inches short of my son.So he had been holding my son by the teeth and hanging on him like a leech. And my son did not cry.The next day I complained to his class teacher. She was scared. She apologised. And said the BP had meant to bite anotherboy whom he usually bites everyday but today he had deviated from his plans and bitten my son instead.Thankfully the year got over before I had my son'e ear or nose bitten off.Then another day a girl tried to shut the door on my son even while he had his hand on the door jamb.There was a crushed nail on his little finger and he was smarting with pain.They had applied some ointment and it took days for the wound to heal.Teachers and ayahs should be wary of the children's whereabouts and activities. There should be atleast three ayahs in a class and two teachers.GK

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Gayathri,

thanks for sharing. Yeah such things do happen, but its scary when it is a major thing.

If I get a call during the day time from his creche, even on normal days, before hearing them out, I get tensed a lot. My DH says I lack maturity, but when it comes to my son getting sick or something, I really overreact :hide:

6. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Dear PTamil2007,Sorry for addressing you this way,I don't know your name.But I share your feelings. My son is all of four and a half,but I don't buy him food from stalls afraid he might get diarrhoea,don't give him cold food afraid he might come down with a cold and fever. LastDeepavali I allowed him to light only crackers even though he wanted to light a busvaanam. Then my SIL made him light a busvaanam much to my chagrin.I too am over protective but my argument is that as long as he is depended on me I should take care of his health and safety. It is better to be safe than sorry.But the most horrible thing is when he comes home with complaints of somebody pulling his shirt,or doodling in his homework note or when the ayah says 'Do it yourself' when he asks her to help him put his shoes on.It breaks my heart when he tells me things like this. I tell him that he need not bother about these trivial issues but I keep going back to those issues asking him, 'Did ayahamma really refuse to help you?' ' Did aunty really scold you? What did she say?'I think we should learn to be a little hard hearted and a little hard of hearing to grow out of these old hen qualities.GK

7. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Oh no..... i really can't read all your experiences..... :eek:mg:

OOF , i can feel blood oozing out of my eyes, when i think about these instances.
    Yes , even though we take very good care of our LOs at home, when it comes to outside world, reality is :shock:

Hi Deepa,
    I hope your LO is ok after this incident

Regards,

8. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

HI ladies,

yes even im v protective of of my son, now im teaching my son to walk and run carefully especially at school. MY DS has never fell down and got mild bruises at home, even if he falls he usually lift his head...so this was surprising (may be he tripped on a waterbottle strap or something else).

but whatever said and done, negligence at school cannot be left out.

thankgod its the forehead and not the eye......... his wound has healed very well, his sutures are removed, but there is a scar.......my DS looks in the mirror and sees the scar and puts a sad face and recalls that he fell down and got hurt and tells me.....

thanks for all your prayers

dheepa