1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Having only one child pros and cons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by SRK123, Feb 26, 2011.

1. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am a mom of 3 year old.

My topic is "Is it okay to have only one child? If it is not okay, what are the problems of having an only child?"

Please start giving your opinions on this.
    -Kiran.

2. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

There is no problem in having a single child....but having more than one is always having more fun for them
    Having siblings is good in the future...there should be some one to share their life with and problems and happiness and joy

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the first post and your valuable opinion. Looking forward for more replies.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I don't think there is any problem as such. I have 1 sister and I love the fact that we shared our childhood together and she would give her life to me should there be a need (vice versa). We still share so many things only with her...i cannot imagine my life without her.

On the other hand one of my close cousin was the only child. She says she is perfectly happy being the only child and cannot imagine having any siblings at all.

So, either way, its your call :thumbsup.

5. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

There is nothing wrong in having ONLY one child.

I am ONLY child to my parents.

Pros: I enjoy all the attention.

Cons: All my cousins except me have siblings. I am the only odd one out.
    I just miss a brother or sister in my life. I did not have any one to fight with and play with at home. My mom and dad were with me, but I just felt alone.

I always feel my life would have been different with a brother or sister in it.

Just my experience though...........

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I don't know in india but in US,especially people who doesn't have financial issues planning again the second kids after 6-7 years after the first one.
    The reason,the first kid itself asking for siblings or the first kid feeling lonely.
    So I have seen lot of couples who planned later for the sake of first kid.
    If you are in wiggle mind and if you see any signs from your kid,obviously couples are choosing to have second kid.
    pros and cons,nothing much I can tell.

7. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

The 1st kid will come to know about sharing,to play etc.More than 1 is important.

1 person likes this.
  8. sheetz1

sheetz1 New IL'ite

I guess in the US kids feel really lonely and that is hwat drives parents into having a second. I myself have heard DD say ... I am all by myself...i Dont have any friends in the house ( i guess she mean sibling).
    And plus both DH and I have siblings and we belive there are so many times we wudve not gotten thru issues in our life without their help!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  9. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks all.

I got more replies than what I expected. They were all helpful. Do you think the child feels lonely even though he/she is very social and has lots of friends at school and around the house to play with?

If she is the only child, I can undoubtedly give her the best of education, and other things in life. But If there are two kids, I am not sure if I can give the best for both of them. I am unable to choose between giving her the best thngs in life or giving her a brother or sister. Its hightime I should decide something, and I am just postponing it.

What about the gap between the kids, what do you think is the ideal age gap between the kids?

-Kiran.

10. APassionateOne

APassionateOne New IL'ite

Hello Kiran...looks like we are in the same boat. Care to read my thread?

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/parenting-by-working-moms/125253-to-have-or-not-have.html

Well anyways..don't think too much, too long. Both ways are OK. Make a decision soon if you can.

But looks like we all budge and go for another kid anyways. I thought I was admant, a perfect planner and totally "hatke" and have only one kid and bring her up superbly (like we did so far..).

But now, I am crumbling/melting and started redefining the word "hatke" as a family with not one superb kid, but..ha...2 awesome kiddos;)

Good Luck..May peace be with you soon :D