1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Advice

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweet1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. sweet1

sweet1 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I have a minor issue and want to knoe how to deal with it diplomatically. I have been married 1 yr ago and living with my DH and in laws. Some of my parent's close friends invited us for dinner after our wedding. Now my in laws seem to like one family alot and wants to keep inviting them to our house. I told them no indirectly one time but they still insist on it. I feel if we call 1 family to our house we should be calling everyone as they all invited us and to me dey are all close to me and equal. Also, they are purposely calling them when my mom is not around so it seems a little fishy to me. My parents don't like this either and now im stuck in the middle. My in laws don't have much friends themselves but my parents have a big group of friends. It seems in laws always looking for making contacts depending on how beneficial the friendship can be to them. My parents also live in same city.

My question is....is it ok for my in laws to try to be best friends with my parent's friends? Also is there a nice way of telling them to back off? Am i overthinking about it ?

I am confused and would really appreciate your responses. Thanks.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear sweet1

as i see it, there is no way you can edit your pil's guest list. you might have a point about being nice to everyone, but they do not seem to see it that way.

don't get involved in this on a personal level. just do your bit and be nice to whoever comes as a guest to the house. after all, no one can hold you responsible for not inviting them. it is the elders in the house who are inviting them (or at least that is the way your social circles will view it). so don't get unduly worried or perturbed about it.

as for your parents not being there at that time, look at it as a disguise in blessing. at least they will not be in an embarassing situation with their friends.

you cannot stop your pils from making friends with whoever they choose to either, no matter what their motivation. on what grounds could you do that and how? just think over it.

just my two penny bit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Ditto to what Sat said.

4. 1janavi

1janavi Bronze IL'ite

In marriages ,people tend to get attracted to poweful/beautiful people and try to make new acquaintances.... so that.... they could have such influential people as friends....
    sometimes it works ...sometimes it fades.....

so don't sweat sweet1.This happens in many families...especially when you are newly married....Inspite of your hesitation if your PIL's like to have your parent's friends around...and if there is some benefit expected out of such a friendship ....then it won't last longer.

5. sweet1

sweet1 New IL'ite

Thanks for the responses !! i guess i was worrying about it too much:bonk