1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right age for school

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Gayathri Krishn, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Hi,My son is 4 plus. His birth date is May,2006. He is in M2 in a school,going on to M3 this year.Many people around me say that he shouldhave joined M3 last year itself so he would be going to 1st standard this year.I feel so confused. Have I wasted one whole academic year by joining him late. They say that he will be older than other children when he joins tenth standard at 16 years.GK

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

It depends on the board I think. For TN state board the cut-off will be 5 yrs in June so he should start Std I this June; for CBSE it is 5 and a half in June (cut off is Dec 05) so he should start Std I in June 2012. Isnt he in BVB? I remember you were going to apply there. Then they must have told you about age cutoffs?

Vanathi.

3. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Hi Vanathi,He is not in BVB. I have put him in Nandha Central -City Campus that is closer home. The school is pretty good and he is comfortable. It is in a CBSE pattern and they teach him skating,swimming, yoga etc.He had a mild stammering previously that put acedemicians in doubt as to his speech development in school,but he has thrown it off now and nobody in this school minds,Good for them.Gayathri

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gayathri,

In Tamilnadu and Andhra, people tend to join their kids at an age od 3.5 years. So they might feel that you have delayed your kid. But in Karnataka, it is normal age for the kid. I know many kids who are 5+ or almost 6 by the time they start 1st Std.

I think you have made a good decision by not rushing your kid into school at a very young age. Let your child grow before he takes on the responsibility of homework, projects... :)

-Lakshmi