Allergic to Metformin

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by neets, Feb 11, 2011.

1. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Did anyone have Side effect while using Metformin.i had terrible hives and my doctor said to stop it completely.i was very much anxious to try this drug,i read it helps with patients who are diabetic and have pcos. Now Doctor had told me to try once more to confirm if i am allergic to it.
    Anyone had this problem..? what can i expect my doc will prescribe next,when i researched,the single most effective drug was this.i really hope my skin dont break out again.

2. oleenam

oleenam Junior IL'ite

hi neets...What dosage of Metformin did you use??..If its high one you can ask for low dosages like 500mg/day and then slowly increase to a level that body needs..I am taking 500mg/day and still no side effects except mild cramps during initial days..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

oleenam,
    my dosage is also 500mg/day :( i was supposed to increase it the next week but by that time it affected me,plus i had some strange feeling in my throat,like as if its closed or something :(

4. oleenam

oleenam Junior IL'ite

Were you taking met along with food?..My RE suggested to take them along with food or just after food at dinner time(supposed to be heavy meal) to avoid any side effects..The most common side effects I heard about Metformin are nausea, diarrhea and abdominal bloating...Are you sure those hives are side effects of metformin??..It can also be caused by external agents...Anyway Metformin is really helpful for PCOS and diabetic..I am not sure whether there is any alternatives to metformin ..

5. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

yes i was taking it with food.i am like 99% sure but i really wish i am and doc is completely wrong.i am supposed to try it once more to check if its really the drug causing it. i am aware of the side effects,i had mild diarrhea ,but this not a side effect this is probably drug allergy.

quoted from a website
    "Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to metformin: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat."

it is something that's been reported and i never thought i would be a victim :(
    My hives vanished automatically when i stopped taking it when my doc told me to.It was pretty bad,it erupted at one place in the begining and as days went by new hives bulged out at new places,i was feeling terrible.

i searched all over internet what could doc prescribe instead of this but couldnt find anything.i dont know :bonk i am just waiting.

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Neets,
    I to haven't heard of your side effect. May be you can try other variations of Metfomin like Glycoment. May be paticular brand is not suiting you. Try it!
    Take care.

7. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Is Gycoment prescribed for a pcos & a diabetic..?

8. Vasumathy

Neets,
    Glycomet is given to those with pcos. for diabetic, varition of it will be prescribed.
    Hope this helps.

9. Vasumathy

Neets,
    Glycomet is given to those with pcos. for diabetic, varition of it will be prescribed.
    Hope this helps.

10. meetumeetu

meetumeetu New IL'ite

Hey neets,

My doctor handed me a printout on metformin and it says

"THIAZOLIDENEDIONES" may be considered if metformin is ineffective or not tolerated by the patient.

It also says that ROSIGLITAZONE and PIOGLITAZONE belong to thiazolidenediones group of antidiabetic agents.

Just check with your doctor.They must be knowing it better