1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my 17 month old is not talking?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by charumamma, Feb 18, 2011.

1. charumamma

charumamma New IL'ite

I am new here. i have a 17 month old he doesnt talk anything .he babbles very very rarely we hear amma .he babbles th....na...ug.....and it goes on very soon we are having our 18 months appointment i hear they expect him to say atleast 10 words now i am really concerned my husband and my mother he will speak eventually.
    i am worried most ,do all kids speak 10 words by 17 months if not what is the concern i try to teach him new words but he is intrested only in playing .if i stress him he tries to avoid me i dont know what to do ? i look like i am so streesed out.please somebody give some thoughts

2. doctor

doctor New IL'ite

How is his social interaction? Is he interacts fine, you need to give him some time to start speaking. If there is no eye contact etc then go see a pediatrician. These could be the signs of autism.

3. charumamma

charumamma New IL'ite

I am sure his social interaction is fine.he points at objects he need ,he plays ball with his dad,he responds to his name .he smiles when we giggle him ,he claps hands when we clap i dont know what more is there

4. shams86

shams86 Bronze IL'ite

You said he responses to his dad and claps....It means he is active only ..Yeah onething is that some kids take 2yrs time to interact and talk..So don't worry ....Try to spend more time with him and interact well...but don't stress him to talk or don't get irriated tooo...Take the help of your pediatrician too to improve his developments..I am sure its not tat much to worry...I even heard tat Boys do take some time to talk comparitively to Baby gals...

5. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi lady,
    i'm here to assure you that it is ok.
    As long as there is eye interaction & the baby has started to understand your commands. Please continue interacting with him.

My daughter is 21 months old & my sister's son is 18 months old, both the kids are yet to speak full words still. but both of them are very good in understanding commands & quite active too.

So don't worry ...:thumbsup:thumbsup

6. charumamma

charumamma New IL'ite

Thx for all the reply.I am living here alone and raising a kid
    and with all the milestone here they have for the kids to reach
    in certain period that really scares me.anyway how do you check
    he is making eye contact?
    I usually call his name and he responds to that is there any
    other way?

7. shubini

shubini Silver IL'ite

Hey,

If the baby is responsive then I don't think u need to worry at all.

First kid of the family and when they r boys speak very late...my son didn't even take an attempt to speak till 2 years. But now he is 3 years and v r struggling to find ways to shut him down...he is so talkative....so dont worry dear.

Keep talking to him....strictly no TV mobiles video games cd dvd mp3 player and all that junk stuff till 5 years....people n kids need to keep speaking to him all the time...singing songs and dancing and all that.

Make him/her interact with other children...kids pick up language easily from other children. U can definitely train him ...there r techniques available but u need to have lots of hopes and u shud never force a kid to reach its milestone...it never works...give him his own time.

All the best :thumbsup

8. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Why don't you redouble your efforts in talking to him. Look at him, and just talk about anthing that pops to your head. It might be difficult if it's just you and him at home, but you'll get used to it!

As another poster has suggested, why not take him along for a playgroup? He'll see other kids with their mommies there, and would learn by observing them. Also, if you take him out frequently, and point out stuff for him (flower/bird/aeroplane.....) each day, he'll pick up those words too.

There's another thread on a similar topic in this form, and there are plenty of good ideas there,so do check out if you haven't done so!

9. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

10. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

when you look at him in his eye does he look at you in the eye for sometime like
    when he is smiling or playing or asking something??if yes no problem ,,but if no
    then see doc.

boys speak late...

teach him like if he says m...words with m..ma....mama....mumy types.

EYE CONTACT IS MUST..

godbless.