Water Conservation (is it a Myth)?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rakhii, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Please dont bash me up for it, I have a small question. Many times I keep hearing (almost everyday) that I should not waste water. Agreed. I should not waste water. I do not waste water because I am getting a bigger bill (like using dishwasher every day takes so much water). Anyway...my question is, why am I conserving water?

Apart from being expensive why exactly am I conserving water?

1. People keep saying that some kid in Africa or India does not have water or if we keep wasting water like this 50 years down the line we will not have any water. How exactly does water disappear?

2. Even with hydro electricity there is no (or min) water wastage. Evaporation cannot be considered as wastage because one water evaporates, its going to come down at some point. So...where exactly water goes?

I am under the impression that, just like energy, water cannot be destroyed.

Please, help me understand this concept. Why am I morally responsible for something which cannot be destroyed (like energy)?

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Less than 1% of Earth's water is suitable for human consumption (about 2-4% is suitable, but out of that only 1% is available).

Will try to write more when I get some time.

3. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

The answer is that people use up our planet’s fresh water faster than it can be naturally replenished. To provide enough clean fresh water for people, water is cleaned at drinking water treatment plants before it is used. And after water is used, it is cleaned again at wastewater treatment plants or by a septic system before being put back into the environment.
    By conserving water you are saving ENERGY that your water supplier uses to treat and move water to you, and the energy your family uses to heat your water.

You’re also saving MONEY. When you use water wisely, you help the environment. You save water for fish and animals. You help preserve drinking water supplies. And you ease the burden on wastewater treatment plants—the less water you send down the drain, the less work these plants have to do to make water clean again.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. Rakhii

Yes, agreed that only 1% is suitable. But that's not the percentage which is available. See the difference I am trying to point out?

We need to find ways to make water usable. That will be the solution.

Good argument but still doesnt explain why my saving a bucket of water would help some poor kid in Africa manaswini.

5. Manaswini08

Because South Africa is generally a water-scarce country to begin with. And it is predicted that the demand for water will exceed supply within the next 15 to 20 years.

Due to the low rainfall in catchment areas, a growing population and a growth in business and industry, there is less available water. The levels of dams supplying S. Africa are at very low levels we must reduce our water use.

As a global citizen, it is everybody’s responsibility to use water wisely, sparingly and to save it wherever possible.

6. Rakhii

Sorry manaswini, but I still don't see how me not wasting water is the solution for this. Agreed that dams supplying water are less, then, then it becomes an economic question. Like build dams.

Agreed that there is no infrastructure or lack of proper planning...still dont see how moral issue comes into picture.

Not sure if i am making sense. I will get back on this.

7. Manaswini08

Saving water is a personal and moral responsibility because potable water is a precious resource that seems to be getting scarcer every day. That is evident from the low water table in several parts of the world and increasing trend in desert land around the world. According to conversationalists if urgent steps to conserve water are not taken, South Africa will run out of this liquid gold for future economic growth within the next five years.

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Rakhii,
    Its mainly the rate and volume of usage is far greater than the rate of replenishment. I think thats why there is such a big danger of scarcity.

Not sure if I'm saying this right.

9. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Sure it is economic question, building more dams require money and where do you think they will get the money from......you ofcourse.. you meaning the consumers. So you see it is a cyclical effect. The more water you spend, the the more treatment required for treating the waste water and more treatment means more money.

And water is not just for humans there are plants, animals fish and the wildlife..they depend on the fresh water resources.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Fresh water supplies are rapidly decreasing, so it is indeed an alarming situation in many parts of the world.