Your most exciting holiday /trip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Sindhurao, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi:
    Is there one holiday that you have gone on that qualifies to be the most exciting? It can be the one holiday in your childhood or that trip you went on recently. A few lines or a single line on why you think it was exciting would be nice.

Honestly, I am stumped by my own question. I can think of more than 3 holidays/trips that were exciting. Now to define exciting - you had a blast and you loved what you did during the trip. Maybe we can improvise as the thread progresses.

For me, a bit of adventure thrown in does the trick. But that hasn't made it any easier to narrow down the choice of 'exciting' to a single trip:) It is still in plural!

One of my exciting trips would have to be the one to Seethanadi near Udupi (about 310 kms northwest of Bangalore) in Karnataka. It was a short weekend trip. This was during the monsoons when my husband and myself took off to Seethanadi for river rafting. The seasonal river had mostly tame rapids(1-2) and one particular rapid that I remember was noteworthy. The rapids are graded 1-5 for the difficulty to maneuver them. 1 being the easiest and 5 being the hardest. The rafting probably lasted 2 hours and then we took off for a trek to the top of a waterfalls (I haven't noted it's name I realise).

The day was cloudy. The route was full of leeches and apart from a fellow trekker from Bangalore, couple of guides (one who knew the way and the other who had the expertise!), we had a dog for company! So after a difficult time with leeches, getting drenched in the heavy rains, a balancing act on a log to get across a fierce stream and finally a rather short ardous climb, we were at the waterfalls and the feeling therafter was of simple bliss! The force of the water spray was quite something! The beauty of the water falling and gushing was enough to forget the leeches and being drenched to the skin! We spent about half an hour in the waters and headed back to the base.

So that was the account of my exhilarating trip. Can't wait to hear from you:)!

Sindhu

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

2. kidrose

kidrose New IL'ite

I do not usually travel during the holiday season, at least not much - we just do a short car to go, many relatives of the house. But back when I was in high school, my family went to the Vermont ski trip, the Christmas right. In a comfortable B & B New Year's bell is very interesting, but I remember my parents went to bed early.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sindhu
    Though there are many trips which I have enjoyed in my life but I can relate to the recent trip I had to Kerala which was an exciting trip as it was a very comfortable trip as my dh's nephew had taken us by Maruthi Van , otherwise when in Kerala we had gone by bus everywhere. This time we were lucky to travel in Maruthi Van to many temples . The first temple we went was Shiva Temple In Trichur, then to two temples in Tripunithura, 5 temples inVaikom, temple in Kodungallur, Tirupayaru, Parur, Guruvayur , Palghat and then to Ernakulam. In this age of ours we need comfortable travel.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Emmm, the most exiting trip/holiday was about 3 years ago in Las Vegas, Nevada. We (DH and I) went there for 10 days and enjoyed every singe hour! No kidding! The city was alive 24/7 and we had the time of our lives. We slept when we felt sleepy, had food when we were hungry, shopped wherever we want and you name it; no particular schedule for anything. I had so much fun that it can easily be names as the most-exiting-place-ever by me:).

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi kidrose:

The ski trip to Vermont must have been really exciting for you then. And New year's eve sort of doubled it up I'm sure.

Glad you stopped by this thread!

Sindhu

6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji ma:

So glad to see you here:) Yes, I agree comfortable travel is priority as you age (else you don't feel like travelling at all). And then the fact that you were able to see so many temples in one trip must have been definitely exciting for you.

Sindhu

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  7. csaigeetha

csaigeetha New IL'ite

Life has been always filled with travelling for me. Both in my parents place and in inlaws place. My dad being so spiritual, he used to take me and my cute little sister to most of the temples. I had visited arupadai veeedu of murugan in my 12th year and my sister in her one year... Thats how we travel..... After my marriage also the same continued. My hus as he is Indian Army would come for vacations and would take me for a trip. So every trip for us is so much exciting. Still, there are two very exciting trips I had. One to Ooty and next to Jammu. Exciting places were not OOTy or Jammu though. I loved when we stopped by Wellington and Conoor while on the journey to OOty. Actually, I dont like hill stations. Am a Beach lover. But this small place - Conoor really excited me. Their living, food and even their talks. The whole culture was different..... :)

On the way to Jammu, I went through Ludhiana which is one place where you have nothing to see.... But, I loved to walk through their market...... buying malai dhoodh and Jilebis.... and what not... a Perefct experience... Loved it and cherished it.... :):coffee

8. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Rakhii:

Good to see you here! Hadn't checked this thread for a while and then I chanced upon your reply post and found out there were 3 replies:) So here I am!

Hmmm...that must have been one relaxing trip - no routine to follow, no schedule. Good for you, I'm sure you returned back home refreshed!

Recently, I had been to Coorg and the caretaker of the bungalow we stayed in mentioned that one set of their guests did not leave the bungalow at all but watched movies on their projector all through their stay there. That must have been one stress-free holiday for them!

Sindhu

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  9. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI csaigeetha:

Welcome to Indusladies!

So you like the little surprises in between your travels? That can be a lot of fun though! Must say that I am delighted when we travel by road since the character of each place is out there for us to see.

Did you take the little train to Ooty?

Well, you said it - Ludhiana markets - a place for shopping then? Sweetmeats, footballs and sweaters! Have heard footballs are exported from Ludhiana and there are sweater shops galore over there!

Glad you stopped by and shared your cherished holidays here.

Sindhu

10. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Nice Thread!

But as u said it is very difficult to choose one single trip that was exciting. Because all the trips which i have been are all exciting.

The trips which we went by train in the childhood days to the latest trips with hubby are really good.

Let me tell about the trip to ooty. Me n my hubby love the wild life and the forest. This was my first drive through the forest. We drove from mysore to OOty. The drive itself was so thrilling as we crossed 36 hair pin curves. Next thing was those peacocks which were seen just beside the roads. i just got down from the vehicle and was going behind them for taking pictures. Later a forest guard asked me to get in to the vehicle n move:hide:
    After reaching Ooty we took the train to coonor...Wow!! what a scenery !! It was mind blowing ....:thumbsup
    And while coming back we could see a herd of elephants very close to the road near Madhumalai....:wow