1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my 11 yr old daughter attains puberty

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by kalpanarajan12, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Kalpana,

I was 10 and my daughter was 11...it happens. Think of it this way...is it best that she is getting her periods than NOT getting them. If she is not mensturating that means she has a physical problem and will have to undergo treatment. You have a beautiful, healthy daught and be proud of that.

PS
    My oldest is now 14 and she still acts like a baby with me sometimes....she will always be your baby girl even when she turns 60!!! Congrats on being a proud mother!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. bittenkitten

bittenkitten Senior IL'ite

Manaswini,
    Did you mean "If she is *NOT* menstruating that means she has a physical problem and will have to undergo treatment"?
    I agree with you: one of my friends who grew up with me started menstruating very late, and there were large gaps between her periods. Turns out she had enlarged ovaries, which led to several problems later including delayed conception. I don't know all the details, so I'll stop here for fear of spreading misinformation...

3. Manaswini08

Bittenkitten,

Yep that's what I meant...LOL.
    This is what happens when I type too fast...thanks dear :)

4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Kalpana,
    Other ilites have already shared their valuable thoughts, nothing new to add here.
    But,just a small note, going forward, make her eat a lot of veggies, fruits, milk(calcium), dates(iron), good amount of protein and be active(atleast walk for 15-20 minutes everyday). Make her drink a lot of water - atleast 5 to 6 glasses everyday.
    Also, if she suffers from cramps or discomfort during periods,please do not give any over the counter pain relieving medicine. These medicines have been found to have adverse effects later in life. So, try only natural remedies to reduce pain.
    Also, breaking out, weight changes etc will be common here on, try to go for natural remedies as much as possible.
    Good luck to your daughter as she starts the next beautiful phase in her life :thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  5. Manaswini08

Kalpana,

Not sure where you live but if possible try to get organic milk and eggs. It won't have as much growth hormones as regular milk and eggs. And as Nava said, make sure she drinks enough fluids.

6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I would like to add a point to what Manaswini said.

In addition to milk and eggs, make sure you give her organic meat, if possible(if she eats non vegetarian). Wash fruits properly and if she likes apples, make sure it is not coated with wax(in which case, peel the skin off). Make sure curd/yogurt is also organic(and not only the milk). Milk, Eggs and Meat are 3 things which may contain hormones and antibiotics that have been fed to the cows and chicken.

7. kalpanarajan12

kalpanarajan12 New IL'ite

Thanks anuraj, manaswini and navs for your valuable inputs and advices.

bittenkitten all i have told her is that this is a kind of body's internal cleansing routine. I didnt want to go beyond that. As it will only lead to her being more inquisitive and asking more whys and whats. I thought I would take it up as she grows more.

8. lollipop

lollipop Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kalpana,

I just read your post. I had my first period at the age of 9 when I was in class 3 . I was so petrified to see the blood that I started crying and ran to my mom. She very normally told me that it was something that all woman have every month including her and it starts at about this age and it is a sign of good health and happens to only good girls:) . I felt very uncomfortable to take pads and but was eager to go to school and tell my friends. I was very sad when I found most of my friends didn't know about it and I was also not allowed to take part in my P.T classes as my mom asked me to give a sealed letter to the class teacher , the content of which was not revealed to me. I came home most depressed , was having headaches(some may experience this during periods) and feeling low. But once mom told me that I was the most healthiest girl in the class and also a good girl that's why it is so happening i forgot everything . To frankly admit we were not so smart and clever girls like the modern day girls. Had no access to internet and quietly accepted everthing.

I had no severe cramps as such and as we lived in a joint family PMS and allied feelings of depression could be easily overcome by the regular chat and play sessions with cousins and aunts. Never thought of it seriously.

I came to know later that this early puberty or precocious puberty is partly caused by better nutrition and increased levels of obesity, which affects the hormones. But I was very slim then. I don't think it affects height as it did not happen in my case. I also came to know that,an early menstrual period is associated withrisk of breast cancer because women are exposed to higher levels of estrogen throughout their lives. But one should not be afraid of all these as it may not be true for all of us. But consultation with a gynecologist before hand is always good.

Tell your little one to take chocolates and bananas during this time to tide over her feelings of depressions.She should take too much salty food , avoid tea or coffee and drink lots of water It's funny but I feel like crying during this time but a bar of chocolate makes me happy !:)

Wish you and your sweet daughter all the best for future.

Love,
    Lollipop

P.S Please read my thread on "tips on period" and if you are not a member yet please become the member of our "Chocolate Lovers" community" :hiya

9. kalpanarajan12

kalpanarajan12 New IL'ite

globalcitizen, i can say from my experience of my daughter, pubic hair development was certainly a puberty symptom. but it could be different thing for your daughter. does she have breast buds as yet ? dont worry dear it almost seems impossible to me that she could be anywhere near the puberty stage so early. but why dont you consult a good gynaec?

lollipop yo are as sweet as your name dear. your reply is so thoughtful. i will give her chocolates to cheer her up:thumbsup but in fact , i acted so light in front of her that she hasnt made a big deal of the whole thing either. but yes, she feels a little messy and uncomfortable and keeps changing her pads often.

One thing i am concerned about is that her periods are lasting almost 7 days. I myself am all clear by the 5th day. Poor thing she has to go through the mess for so long. Is this something expected in the early years? I thought and hoped it would be the other way round. Any idea dear ILs?

I am giving her the extra large nappies so she doesnot have to worry about leakage. despite that I notice that she leaves stains on the bed on the 3rd day. how do i help her with that?:confused2: I make sure she wears tight panties and a pant over that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kalpana,

Good to know that your little girl is taking things in her stride :)

It varies from person to person but for me in the initial days it was around 7 days. Bleeding also was more than what it is now. Nowadays, it has come down to 4-5 days. I think it is normal and not too much to worry about. In case you want more clarification, consult your gynae.

Either the pad isnt enough for the heavy bleeding or the pad is displaced when she is sleeping. If the pad isnt enough, go for overnight pads, available both in Whisper and Stayfree. Or you can wake her up in the middle of the night and ask her to change her pad. If the pad is being displaced in the night, then you need to check whether she is placing the pad in the right position on the panty, since you already said that she is wearing tighter panties.

-Lakshmi