1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Job hunting,small child,no help!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Preet82, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

Dear ladies,I have been looking for a job since past 3 months.The market is really bad and i got 1 or 2 interviews a month.My hubby either took leave or few hours permission and picked and dropped me and took care of my now 16 month old DD.Now i am getting lot of interviews,my hubby is unable to get off work so often
    I once left her in our friends house.But the lady of the house never offered to keep her when i had other interviews.Though my hubby insists that we should leave her in their house for few hours i am not at all comfortable as the lady once or twice commented how i can leave such a small child to go earn money.For me its not just about money.I always wanted to have a career.I decided that i would take a break and be with my baby till she is one
    Once i get a job,i can get a babysitter or send her to a day care.But for these few hours every other day or week. I do not have any help!.My hubby doesn't like the idea of me inviting my old maid at such times to watch my child.He feels we should leave her at any of our friends place.I feel more comfortable leaving my baby with a person i employ rather than someone who is doing a favor.Moreover if they wanted to help,they would offer right?

My neighbor lady offered to take care of DD whenever i have interview for a small fee.My hubby was not happy we that saying..we don't know them too well.We had a big fight.I canceled my interview today and i am feeling very low.My mom will come here for 2 months after 2 months.that will be a great help.But i just can't say -NO when i get a call from a good company right? I don't know what to do.:bonk

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

First thing stop feeling bad! If you really want to work and are sure about it then find a daycare, if they will take in the child, do that right away so that the child also will get used to being there!
    Don't expect your neighbour to take care of your lil one, how can she do it at regular intervals, Suppose you get two three calls for interviews in a day you or your DH should not expect her help! Leave her with the maid you have employed, not at friends's houses, you cannot thurst them with a kid so young they might not like it!
    Good luck!

3. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

D o not worry,things will sort out.May be if your mother could come earlier it would be easier for you.It is always better to leave the child with your own kin rather than with others ,as many people may not like it.Not many people are receptive.All the best.

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

have you started looking at daycares for your child or baby sitter for the whole day once you start your job? my suggestion is to start that first so that your child gets used to that routine little by lttle bfore starting a full day schedule once you join work..
    that way the child can start with few hours at the day care & increase the hours later & you get a few hours for any interview preparations and attending them..

Good luck & stop feeling bad and work with your husband on this ...

5. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

I noticed you live in UAE. Isn't there a website where a lady has a home based day care with other kids who'll baby sit your baby also for a few hours during your interview? She might be more reasonably priced than a day care and you're daughter may not feel the transition from home to caregiver's place as drastic.
    Does sulekha.com work in the UAE?

Also there's dubai/abu dhabi forum here. See if any ILITE lives close by to you and is willing to baby sit in her place for a small fee....

Please try all of these options and take your husband to the caregiver's places before signing up. Have him feel comfortable about the idea too....

6. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

Dear Jananikrithsan,kanaka Raghavan and Lotusgirl,
    Thanks for hearing me out and Thank you so much for your suggestions.I have started looking out for a baby sitter who could look after DD for 2-3 hours everyday.I will finalize that soon.
    @waitingForTej - Thank you for your advise.Sulehka.com works here.i will look it up for the caregivers.

7. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

I lived for a while in the UAE, too, I remember quite a few of my friends offering to babysit for their neighbors.

But as waitingforTej said, your kid is better off with a couple of hours at daycare....she'd adjust better when you do go full time, and even if you do get a live-in maid later on, your child would do better with the interaction with other kids. Why not try one? Then you could schedule your interviews for the mornings she's away at daycare.

If you are letting her stay with a maid, do take care to check if they're reliable, though. I remember my friend saying something about using a maids service that provides maids for babysitting (in Dubai), perhaps you could find out more about them.
    IMO, even if you do use a maid, you could ask your friends/neighbors to do frequent checks while you are away.