1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Single Life - Please help

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by google, Jan 29, 2011.

1. google

google Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I am separating from my husband soon. I have a 4 year old kid. Planning to get a job soon. Just wanted to get some insights about life alone in the US. Just wanted to know how about how separated/divorced/Bachelorette lasdies manage alone. Mainly I want to know the average household expenses, in case of emergency how its managed, when parents are visiting how things are managed (reason being I am scared to drive in freeway, dont know how to look for deals online and book things, keep track of miles etc).

So many questions pop, can somebody please help me with your experience

thanks

2. shams86

shams86 Bronze IL'ite

Hi...
    Hope you have driving License with you. If not first get it...U might be knowing how life is miserable without driving license here in USA. For online deals you have number of sites in Google. Our friends in this site have already shared the deals sites like that...You start googling well then u will come to know so many things. Life in US runs with Google I feel. For calculation of distance for travelling like how many miles to go and directions everything you can know by google maps. Hope I helped little bit. Any queries you can post in Indusladies..Our Bright friends are here to help always..All the best for ur life :thumbsup

3. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

do u have a job???how will you pay the bills??wont ur kid miss his/her dad??
    wont u miss man in ur life someone standing beside you.
    divorce is touch sorry for u dear tc.

without driving in this country life is impossible..drive,drive

4. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

How are you going to pay the bills without a job? Have you thought this through?

Do you have a car and driving license? If so, buy a good GPS for your car. If you are scared to drive on freeways, you can always choose the 'minimize freeways' option in the GPS or search in Google maps and looks for directions without freeways. When parents visit and you have to pick/drop off at airport and you cant drive there, then just take a cab. Buying stuff online isn't a big thing, google for deals and you will get so many websites.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Google but from ur post I am not so sure u have thought through some of the basic issues involved in separation and that too where a kid is involved. Anyway its not what u asked ..let me tell u what I think since I live in the same area.
    1 .Transportation : Do u own a car? If u do then u can get to most places without getting on the freeway. Yes its painfully slow but it can be managed. If u dont and U are not comfortable driving ..well Bay area doesnt have great public transaportation but its passable. I assume u havent moved out yet. Try looking for apartments which are close to Bart Station ,Light Rail or bus stop. This will make a huge difference. Its almost critical to ur survival.
    Not sure if u are working but if u are and ur office is not close to any of the public transit areas buy a bike(cycle) and helmet . I do hope u know how to ride one. This will be the only way u can get to the office from the bus /train stop.
    Also if u have a choice look out for apartments close to a grocery store.
    2 . I do not know ur financial standing at this point but a single BD apt in a decent location atleast costs $900-$1000 in the bay area. A better option would be a studio or a shared accomodation with another woman.
    3.Pre-school is not free in CA . U have a 4 yr old. I hope he already goes to one if not look for one which has extended day care(6 pm) so u can go to work.
    4.I am not sure what u mean by managing when parents come? Ur parents are coming to help u out? well in that case it should be ok.
    5.Emergencies..this is the hardest one to deal with when one is single with a kid and in US. Does ur employer have benefits like health insurance? If not start shopping for one. Thats the next most important thing after housing.I hope u have some solid friends after a few years of living the BA. Make a short list of their names and their mobile numbers where they can be reached.
    6.Dont worry about things like Airline miles..last thing at this point. U have more important things to worry about.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. google

google Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the response
    I have a license, have an old car. Going to get H1 from Oct so will land a project soon. Husband has to pay child support and alimony and I have saved up some money when I was working as HR illegally.

EAD is there now but will go away with separation I guess.

7. newbeginning

newbeginning Bronze IL'ite

It all depends on how my your ex will be involved with the kid after your move out. Its not an easy task managing everything all alone and caring for a child too. It gets too stressful most of the times. However strong you are, you will need some sort of support. Line up some babysitters and you will surely need their help.
    My another suggestion would be not to spend your saved money. Keep it for the "rainy" days ahead. I am sure being single you would need money...so plan really well.

Good luck!
    NB

8. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

You need to check with a immigration lawyer. If you have EAD and 485 filed, due to seperation it might be possible to maintain , it might not be the case that it will be invalidated by your seperation. Be Strong, and assertive.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  9. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

When you say you are going to get H1 from Oct that means you are already ready to get out of your EAD status?? you can either be on EAD or H1. not both at the same time right?

Why dont you first talk to your attorney who is filing for H1 and then about your soon to be EX husband and decide on it? seems like you both are trying to get a mutual consent separation so how about making it work for both of you instead of you trying to take all the burden at one time? what is his reaction is he ready to help? i.e your husband