1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to reuse your old pattu sarees ?? ... Some new tips.

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by sadhu72, Jan 8, 2011.

1. SanjuReddy

SanjuReddy New IL'ite

really great to get such wonderful ideas....
    thanks for sharing with us...

2. GeetaC

GeetaC New IL'ite

I've just used the border & pallu of an old saree. I bought a satin silk bandhni, attached the border & pallu, and added some embroidery to give it a designer look, with traditional fabrics.
    Hope you like this one.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. GeetaC

GeetaC New IL'ite

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention, that if you have a portion from the body of the saree, you may tailor a nice blouse from it, or else, you may use the body to make a rich dupatta, & give it a lovely brocade edging.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. suravees81

suravees81 New IL'ite

Hey...am here just in time, i suppose!!!!
    They make biiiig thin carpets using the full length pattu saree (No bits n pieces...:p), keeping the pallu for grand centre design, in Delhi. These look gorgeous during navarathri n other poojas when u make the guests sit on the floor!!!!! Am actually looking out for a tailor who can make this for me...ne suggesstions????

5. Sarasan

Sarasan Bronze IL'ite

Great Ideas!

Thank u ladies................

as SLV said we have to think abt the life time also b4 designing the sarees in to kurtha , dance dress,or chudi :)

6. Jara

Jara New IL'ite

hi everybody
    I have used my old sari, after tearing off the border,as a cover for flannel blanket which looks old.
    Also the cushion cover idea has been in my mind for quite some time , only i haven't done that.

7. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sadhu, nice to see this beautiful article from you wherein everyone has poured and shared their views of using/reusing pattu saris.........

I remember those good old days when mom used to dye and re-use and also stitch pavadais for me and my sister....

As long as the sari is used or reused and stays with you will be a treasure to behold !!

8. sudhachandrasek

sudhachandrasek Bronze IL'ite

We can just stich a churidar out of it or if it is very old we use it to cover the golu padi during Navarathri.:thumbsup

9. rsaisundari

rsaisundari New IL'ite

I too don't think cutting and stitching to salwar or frock is good. In stead it can be re-used as saree. For example, my mother had a silk saree brought in her teenage years in 1960s. The zari was full of silver, the jeweller promised to melt and give us some silver items. But we were not sure, whether they will give the correct value. so I neatly cut out the Zari border and Pallu and got a plain china silk saree in the same sandalwood colour and stitched that over the China silk saree. Wow, every body keeps asking where I got this this saree.

So my mother and I preserved the silver zari and saved the saree.

Try this if possible.

10. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Hi geets ,

defntly i like the idea!
    have to give a try on a simple border pattusaree.

sura ,

this is latest delhi trend aa ??? good idea !
    having fedups with my tailor for his delayeeeddd deliveries , i tried with the mobile [ roadside ] tailor once for my blouse & other sundry alterations ... wow , this idea worked out very well for me & that tailor is so skilled than my shop tailor. try this !