1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning rust/grease in iron kadhai

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sahmaara, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

i have a iron kadhai (wok) from india and i once used it for deep frying. it not only has oil grease but is also rusted. i really love it. i tried lemon juice, SOS, Ajax, but in vain. Does anybody have any ideas for cleaning and maintaining iron kadhai??
    Any cleaner available in stores?

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Try rubbing it with a slice of raw potato. If that doesn't work, go buy some soap steel pads at the grocery: Brillo or SOS are good. It has compounds with the soap to work with rust and also to polish different metals. Don't get the no rust ones for this job.

3. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

thanks! I have tried SOS. it did much cleaning but not completely. let me try the raw potato trick. thanks again!

4. msquare

msquare Senior IL'ite

I would say just put some canola oil and salt together, use old cloth to rub around in circles slowly. Then wash them in hot water and do more times if needed. Later, grease again nicely inside and out with canola oil and put the pan upside down inside the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. Allow it to cool by itself. Repeating this process makes the pan look shiny and new and ready to use. But do not ever use soaps in iron pan!

Try it out and let me know if this worked for you!

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

HI,

No idea about rusting,but for oilgease i have one.

Recently i saw in one of the programme that take the water in the same pan, heat it on stove& put some apple peels(outer skin) inthe pan...alloow to boil for some time. While you wash, you can find the different surely.

I tried it in my kadhai, found not much different, but sure i saw the different in few areas. may be i should have left it for long time, do one more time.

Try it....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011