1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yes Ma'am

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 1, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear kantha,

i am having a deja vu after reading your post. how true. God help us - that's all we can say. but i guess even God has to lay down his arms when it comes to "domestic help".:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi.

We dont have a maid in our house. But in my mom's house, there is a maid. When we go to my mom's house for any festivals or functions, the maid will take leave for 2-3 days, frieghtened about the over load work.

We will give extra amt, will take her kids for cinema - just to keep her daily coming.

The maids are taking over advantage from the person who takes care abt them, who listenes to their problems. But they will be so obedient to the person who curses and ill-treat them. I cant understand the maid's psychology..

any way, i hope everything in ur house will be alright soon.

andal

3. satchitananda

i am a firm believer in human rights and dignity of labour. so earlier on, when family members used to say i was spoiling them, i use to stick up for them and say how we being more fortunate than them should help them. i also believed that bad behaviour on their part was their way of protesting against bad treatment.

after all my experiences with them now, i suspect that they take our good treatment for our weakness. they feel (and they are right), that we need them and can't do without them. on the other hand, may be they are scared of losing their jobs in houses where they are always shouted at. having said that, i still can't bring myself to be nasty to them. i have to answer elsewhere some day. :coffee and they have to, too. :thumbsup

4. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Uh oh! Where have I heard this before? I guess there is an element of truth in what they say about familiarity breeding contempt.

I have no first-hand experience with having maids in the house but I have learned quite a lot about them from the long, marathon phone conversations that I have with my mom each week. After the routine pleasantries like 'how are you Meena? I was just telling appa that it feels like I haven't spoken to you for a decade (note that I call her atleast 3 or 4 times a week), are the children in good health?', she goes straight to the problem of the day which invariably centers around her maid.

My mom does not have one 'firm' bone in her body. She is putty in the hands of her maid. She treats her like a long-lost family member(so much so that I can't help but feel jealous sometimes):). She may serve my father toast for breakfast but would fire up the stove just so her maid can have a couple of hot dosais or adais with her cup of hot coffee. While the maid, I am sure, appreciates this, she also tends to take it for granted. The downside to this white-glove treatment is that boundaries get blurred and lines are crossed when they should not have been.

So after hours of intense dissertations about maid problems with my mom, I am still not wiser for the experience therefore I am at a loss to give you any helpful suggestions. But I will wish you good luck in figuring out a way to balance your belief to treat them fairly while at the same time getting them to work for their pay. Enjoyed your post Satchi. :thumbsup

5. satchitananda

thanks, meena. i know this is a pretty ghisa-peeta topic, i just couldn't letting go. since i can't exactly wallop those two spoilt brats, the best thing could do to calm myself was to numb my brain by hammering at a few keys.:rant:rant:rant

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Satchi, you may be right.My association was only for few months.7 years is a long term for an itch to develop :crazy

This is a dilemma now whether to be stern and set the boundaries or else be lenient and expect them to understand.Really a tough situation to handle.I wish you all the best

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

Why don't sweetly tell them may be its time for them
    1)To take a break and take care of health. Tell them you will miss them dearly but you have to find another maid as yourself cannot do anything and you are on a tight budget as you yourself are spending a lot on Doctors.

2) If there is an option, Cut thier hours and tell them that you can reduce work and reduce salary too...

One of these should work if they are pretending.

Cheers.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Buy a dishwasher to clean your utensils. We havs sacked the maid who was absenting herself too frequently. And as for cooking equip your kitchen with a microvave, OTG etc. YOu cant make sambhar or rasam in Microwave but you can even cook your rice and vegetables in it without much effort. In the long run you save more money than you would by employing maids and your physical effort is reduced to a fraction.

buy

9. satchitananda

armummy,

good suggestion. shall try that out soon.:thumbsup

10. satchitananda

balajee,

i would, if i could. i have my good days and my bad ones too. on a good day, i might be able to manage something basic, but on my bad ones, even that is a challenge. bjut as they say "c'est la vie".