1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

No more Sona Masoori Rice from India??Other Rice brands??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vaishnavilakshmi, Oct 16, 2007.

1. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Re: No more Sona Masoori Rice from India????

Thank You Nivedi.. for the information about Golden temple. I didnt know that they are coming from Canada. Just relieved...
    But is there any variety of wheat flour from US that is avaialble in cheaper rate than this. Yesterday I bought the Golden Temple for 15.99 as like the rice price...

Thanks,
    Priya

2. ujwala

ujwala New IL'ite

hai

I to went to Patel brothers grocery store and was confirmed that there is a shortage of sona masoori rice so its a bad news for south indians .

Thanks
    ujwala

3. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

HI friends,

When Golden Temple Aatta is a product of canada,what could be the reasons behind sudden price hike in Golden temple aatta from 11.99 to 15.99 ??

vaishu

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi vaishu
    Simple ecnomics...there is a demand for the next alternative product that is close to the indian product.....so cash it when you can.???.

when the tn.govt said helmet must from .... the day before helmets that sold at Rs.250 sold at 1250 and people brought that.....

5. anu9

anu9 New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

i heard from my friend, who is also an IL that Basmati rice is available in the same name " Basmati rice" in SAMS club and price is really half the amt when compared to indian stores. i found this info very useful. i am just going to give a try. thought i will share this with u.

anu

6. Imaya

Imaya New IL'ite

Yes Anu, you are right! I also got Basmati rice without any hike. Wish we could get Golden temple/swad atta like that, instead of paying 'glittering' price at Indian grocery store.

IM

7. vaishnavilakshmi

Hi anu,

Is the Bamsati rice in SAMS of Daawat brand???The one which we get in costco is Daawat brand which is around 11$ for 20lb bag.Iam not sure from where this brand of basmati rice comes from,india/canada,or produced here itself.

just want to confirm the brand of basmathi rice and price,
    vaishu

8. anu9

anu9 New IL'ite

i dont whether many people is aware of it or not but u get uncoooked tortilos from costo or some english grocery shop which is also like our ordinary roti and is very cheap when compared to indian stores.

previously i used to get kawan or pillsburry roti but now we r using whole wheat uncooked tortilos which is very good and price is also very reasonable.it is the same wheat chappathi what we make.

Anu

9. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    As Anu9 suggests maybe we should try the whole wheat tortillas.

Also, I usually buy whole wheat flour from the American grocery stores. You can mix maida in this to get the consistency and taste of roti you like. Again maida is available in American grocery stores. This kind of assembled flour can be made very healthy as you can add soy flour or wheat germ to it to increase its protein content.

Ladies in Virginia,
    Please check out Shoppers' and Giants' ethnic aisle. Nowadays these stores are carrying a variety of products that we Indians use like daals, basmati rice (from Pakistan) etc.

Of course the Indian stores here are out to make a buck by any means!! :mad:

Gayathri

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  10. vaishnavilakshmi

Hi,

The whole wheat tortillas taste good and almost with similar taste like our rotis.But we need to watch sodium content which is very high in tortillas.Sodium watchers have to watch carefully and use low sodium version .

thanks,
    vaishnavi